timmsy

Hi all I have a 1500 1978 spitfire and recently it failed its mot on the emissions the mechanic said that the carbs needed adjusting another mechanic who helps me out told me that he couldn't adjust the carbs as the are done through the dash pots with a special tool
I was just wondering if this is true as I thought I read somewhere that it's done via a screw on the side of the carb
Sorry I don't know what sort of carbs they are
Any advise would appreciated

We can't really help without knowing what carbs you have. Could you take a picture of it?

Normally you would have HS4 SU carbs and they are adjusted by the jet screw which is on the bottom of the carb. However it could be other things that are causing the problem such as wear in the jet, needle or spindles.

Regards,
Andrew

if they are std then they are hs4's, adjusting mixture is easy as said above - just a screw on the bottom of the carb body to wind the jet in a bit.

i had mine fail last year on emissions and one side running too rich, turned out to be the choke was not shutting off properly!

if you can get a pic up then should be able to help more as andrew says. generally quite simple to adjust though.

rich

Thanks guys I tried to take a pic but it was always too big to fit on here
I think my guy may be confusing the storm bergs carbs as everything else  on my car is original so presume the carbs are too ie hs4 and I also checked the choke return rich_s and it doesn't seem to be closing down properly and maybe just that simple hope so thanks guys for your thoughts
Cheers

US Spitfires came with one or two Stromberg CDSE carbs.
Here isa a single Stromberg CD150 carb.  It will adjust through the top with that tool:
http://www.triumphexperience.com/phile/8/2072/IMG_1980_2.JPG

SU HS4 carbs look like this (notice the aluminum tops are taller):
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/spit-carbs/suf1.jpg