New Spitfire Owner - Carbs Questions!

JimboSails

Hi All,

I hope to become a regular on here - I've just bought a 1972 Triumph Spitfire which needs a bit of work doing to it (not a huge amount though).

Interestingly enough, it has a straight 6 1998cc engine, with a twin carb set up. I know that the carbs need servicing before it stands any chance of being up and running (the previous owner took them off), so I spoke to Burlen about getting a service kit in (I've got a mechanic here who can do the actual work) - we struggled on the phone to track down exactly which carbs they are.

I was hoping someone here might be able to help - they're both Zenith Carbs (Stromberg) and have 150 stamped on a raised plate, followed by CD embossed, then S stamped in to the cover. Any advice or tips gratefully received.

The car is a custom blue, and was sold to me by a good friend who inherited it from his grandad, who sadly passed away last year. It's been in a barn in Somerset for a few years, and i'm keen to get it up and running!

Cheers,

Jimbo

Well you know already that you have a Stromberg CDS 150 pair.
Which one precisely is the question.
They should have a metal tag on them with a number, but that might have gone AWOL.
An engine number will give an indication of what carbs would go with the engine. GT6 Mk 1/2 or a 2000 saloon

They sound like cd150's which were mainly fitted to mk2 engine.  Mk3 engines had cd150cdse's fitted. Do they have a yellow pPlastic cover on one side of carb? Temp compensator.  Engine number will also give a clue plus a pic of carb and manifold set up

people have told me it's a Vitesse engine while I was outside getting the number!

Does that make finding spares for the Carbs easier?

My mechanic has suggested I might be able to get a manifold that supports a single carb setup - is this possible/good/bad idea?

The only Triumph 6 pot I have seen running a single carb was supercharged.  Can not find my photo of that set up - looked something like this.

Rebuilding Zenith Strombergs is not difficult, what actually wrong with them.  You can get the bits to rebuild from various people I use Burlem Services http://zenithcarb.co.uk/carburettor-kits.html.

rotoflex wrote:
Wow, as Brendan said, Stromberg CD150 carbs.
The are identified by having the mixture control on the bottom, & none of the later plastic emissions structures on the sides.
Nifty carbs to have!

What makes these good carbs to have? Reliability?

Cheers!  :)

Easier to setup, as you do not need to stick a tool down teh top.

Needles should be 6J.

Wind up until jet is flush with bridge and down 2 full turns. good starting point.

You have an aftermarket 6-2-1 exhaust on there. That may mess up the mixture a bit.

Engine itself is a very ealry Mk1 2 litre so has the 1600 bottom end.

More "revvy" than the later one.

Something to remember if the engine need rebuilding.

Cheers

Colin

Aside from the two holes for the manifold bolts your carb has a third hole which I think is bypass or vent hole. The picture of the manifold shows the gaskets have no cut out to accommodate this. As Colin says you may be better off with an OE manifold.

rotoflex wrote:
Wow, as Brendan said, Stromberg CD150 carbs.
The are identified by having the mixture control on the bottom, & none of the later plastic emissions structures on the sides.
Nifty carbs to have!

I'm looking at the kits on Zenith Carburettors - are they just straightforward 150CD, or would they have any other letters?

Cheers,

Jimbo