Smaller steering wheel

Nick Jones

My Mk2 PI (non PAS) still has the enormous (16"!) standard steering wheel.  I'd like to try something a bit smaller - 14" perhaps.

What will fit from elsewhere in the Triumph range that looks similar, but smaller.  Other 2000 range will obviously fit - but which are smaller, Dolomite, Stag?

Hopefully Stoneleigh may throw-up some chances.....

Nick

A 15" wheel from a 2500S is an easy swap.

I've got a road test of the mk2 saloon which laments Triumph fitting such a small steering wheel!

Must say, I like my 16"er, very comfortable to drive with and places the column stalks directly to hand, they line up perfectly with the spokes of the wheel.

I think the PI wheel is different, not so ergonomically designed as the 2000's?

Originally the mk1 Stag, pfl mk2 PIs and early 1850 Dolomites had the large (16") wheel. Later Dolomites (later clocks and SUs, about when the sprint was announced), mk2 Stags and fl PIs and 'S' all had the smaller wheel. The early larger wheel has a non round profile to the rim, shaped I assume for your thumb to rest in, like the 2000 wheel rims. The later and smaller wheel has a round profile to the rim. So if you are looking at them at Stoneleigh (and have no tape measure) that's the easy way of telling the difference.

My PI had PAS from new but does wear a later wheel, it must have been 'City button' light with the original larger wheel.

Colin.

Archived