Dizzy or Carbs? New project MKIV Hamshire Helloo :)

mikelinehan

Hello everyone my name is mike, I've not posted much, but now I've bought my second MKIV i will hopefully be getting great helpful information and advice.

my first mkiv I sold 2 years ago, and i missed it so much i bought another. the first one ran really well but just had bodywork issues, where as my new one is solid all over ( I Think LOL), but has running issues.

my question is:- It has a 1500cc dizzy on at the moment with no tacho drive. it is miss firing mostly when cold, should i source a delco reme dizzy? or

Do you think it is the carbs? as they are twin hs4 fitted and is running very rich, black smoke when revved

p.s the previous owner spent £3000 on it last oct 17. my jaw dropped when i read through the receipts, 

oh and i did a basic dry compression test no throttle open, 1=140 2=130 3=130 4=140 PSI

really appreciate your advice

Hi welcome to the best and new (web site) forum (when our web guys get the bones sorted) it won't be to much longer,

anyways back to your problem, pop the dizzy and leads in the oven for a few mins, because a damp cap or lead can be aright pain to trace, clean the plugs and stick them in to. at this stage it might be wise to pop a new condenser in, check and clean/regap the points, when i was doing mine I had H & H Ignition Solutions change mine to electronic, best move since sliced bread, and looking at it you would never know,

Just make sure the wife is out shopping 

Hey Mike, welcome, my user name is new as well (but I've been around a bit).

I'd start with the most simple inexpensive things first.

Check integrity of all wires and connections in the ignition system, not just the high voltage, but all of them, to the coil, condenser etc.

Check that the mechanical advance is not bound up.  Just gently twist the rotor it should move a few degrees, maybe 10 if I recall and then smoothly spring back to it's original position.

As mentioned, check points gap and condition.  Rotor and Cap as well.

If you have an old condenser around, try that one, I've gotten bogus new ones in the past that behaved much like you described.

Check timing.

Check that the choke is not bound up. (much less likely the cause though)

I'm assuming you have decent fuel in there, not really old stuff?

Good luck with it.

Steve

As mentioned above, quite common is the choke not returning fully when you push the knob back in. Pull it fully out and look at the jet tube underneath each carb (usually red plastic) where the linkage attaches. These will be pulled down about half and inch or so by the mechanism. Make sure they go fully back up tight against the carb when you push the choke knob back in.

Hello again chaps 

update:- I've taken the whole Lucas dizzy off and replaced it with a brand new Delco reme Dizzy with electric ignition and Tacho drive, and at the moment it seems to be working a lot better( not Miss firing), as the tacho wasn't connected before it now works, But bounces all over the place. Any ideas?

also i managed to get a set of HS2's so considering changing them over from the HS4's

thanks george steve and michael ;)

Our tacho needles do tend to move around a bit but if yours is excessive then the instrument is worn. You could try making sure the cable run is as smooth as possible and lubricate it with a light oil but most likely the tacho will have to be sent away for overhaul.... 

HI mine was a bit iffy when I first fitted it I unscrewed the cable from the tacho pulled the inner cable through a bit then re-screwed it back on, it all works fine now !!!!!!!!!!!!

now Ive type this just unscrew from the dizzy push a couple for mm through and try again