Samuel95

Does anyone have photos to show the different front valences through Herald production?
I'm interested in the differences from 948 through 1200 production but 13/60s would be interesting too. I know the difference between 1200 and 13/60 versions is primarily around the grille/radiator area but anywhere else?
I think I have a late 1200 valence but I recently got an early valence which is either 948 (with optional rubber bumper rails) or early 1200.
Some photos would be good.

I've not photographed them all, I really should get around to doing that, but I can talk you through the major change points.

1959-64
The initial 948 front valance has prominently peaked corners and a smooth underside, the numberplate is mounted on pressed metal brackets. A lip runs along the full length of the back edge.
When the optional rubber bumpers were installed, the retaining strips are held in place with pop rivets.
The same valance ws used on Courier vans on the Mk1 chassis.

1961-62
The 1200 Mk1 valance is identical to the 948 type except the bumper strips are spot welded in place.

1962-66/7
The 1200 Mk2 valance was modified with a squared-off bulge on the underside, with an open slot above. The lip along the back edge is no longer full-length, there is a gap along the length of the bulge. The numberplate is now usually screwed directly to the front of the bulge. The peaked corners are initially retained.
Not at all obvious is a change in profile to the top face of the valance, necessary to give clearance over the forward-mounted front chassis bar on this model.
This valance was also used without bumper strips on the Mk2 Courier van from 1962-64.

1962-66/7
The Vitesse 6 valance has all the features of the early 1200 Mk2 valance, including peaked corners, the back edge at the top is scalloped to clear the forward mounted radiator - the radiator is also the reason why the bulge and slot were introduced around this time. They were unnecessary on the Heralds, but were added to commonise tooling between models.

1966/7-1970
Later 1200 Mk2 valances were amended with flatter corners, presumably to simplify the manufacturing process. The rubber bumpers are slightly shorter as a result - modern replacements are all suipplied over-length, trim to fit.

1966/7-1971
Possibly introduced on the later Vitesse 6 models, but common to all Vitesse 2L Mk1 & Mk2 models, the peaked corners were flattened in common with other models. The aluminium bumpers were unchanged, a small bracket was added at the end of the valance to take up the gap.

1967-1971
The 13/60 valance was identical to the late Vitesse pattern - flat corners, bulge and slot - except the back edge received a step and squared edge to match the front underside of the bonnet.

I think that covers it all. I have some, but not all, of these types available to photograph. It's a detail which ought to be recorded as not all changes were reflected by different part numbers.
Bear in mind also that Stanpart replacement valances for earlier models were superceded with the latest types, so a 1970 accident repaired Mk1 1200 would have received the latest flat-corner Mk2 valance as a replacement.

Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks for that Bill, you've confirmed that my 'new' valence is from a 1200 mk1 as the rails are spot welded. Good to know that's the only difference to a 948 version though.
I recon the early valences are heavier too - thicker gauge steel?