Fuel Injection idea - how about this

Bainzy

Can't see it flowing quite as well as 4 individual runners, but this has the advantage of retaining the original 1500 inlet manifold which looks slightly more original, and won't require as much tig welding (the big obstacle as far as I can see) - only the injector bosses will need doing. Doesn't need to flow that well as the car will still be using the original 18-58 camshaft (the only other I'd consider would be a MKIII grind, unlikely though) so isn't going to be a high powered screamer.

The plenum would be made from flat sheets of mild steel then MIG welded, so radiused inlets could be used, and the whole plenum assembly would bolt directly onto the original inlet manifold.

Thoughts?

In fact, what about welding injector bosses into the plenum's connecting tubes instead, so there's just 2 injectors? Then I could omit cutting into the inlet manifold althogether, and make it a 100% bolt on job with only mig welding to do....

I guess instead then I could make a pair of adaptors between the head and inlet manifold that have 2 injector bosses and fuel rail attachment point each? That would also avoid having to find a TIG welder or drilling a manifold.

The idea behind the tubes was just to get as much length in the inlet tract as possible.

1381 wrote:
I guess instead then I could make a pair of adaptors between the head and inlet manifold that have 2 injector bosses and fuel rail attachment point each? That would also avoid having to find a TIG welder or drilling a manifold.

The idea behind the tubes was just to get as much length in the inlet tract as possible.

You could but you're probably still better off getting the injector bosses and then drilling the manifold. The manifolds are hardly rare.

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/injectorbungs.html

Or get someone to make them for you.

Remember you need a way of securing the fuel rail too :)

Injectors can easily be mounted on the cylinder head with just a bit of milling and drilling above the four inlet ports. Ford did it this way on the pinto when they EFI'd it. What about converting the carbs into throttle bodies and adding a TPS to one ex carb ?

Cheers guys, plenty of food for thought. I'm still floating ideas about as it won't get done for at least a year.

I like the idea of having carbs as throttle bodies because it looks really original, but the idea of still having something to balance puts me off. I love the simplicity of having just the one throttle body, hence why I'm eventually going with injection.

Archived