npanne

Been looking to replace the dry/crusty/sticky tape and plasters mess of a front loom on the Spit, and I've got a couple of questions for you knowledgable chaps:

1. What is the max amp rating that goes to the front lights - I'm guessing its the full beam, but what current do they run at? Have been looking at the AMP Superseal waterproof connectors, as the OEM bullet connectors seem open to the elements a bit.

2. Where do all the front lights earth? I see that each light unit has an earth return cable that comes backto the connection point, so they don't earth at the units - is there an earth point somewhere that I migh have removed?

3. I've got a replacement front loom (very grandiose term for a couple of straight wires) for both sides, but it seems odd to me. They're bundled together in "sided" units, but this makes no sense as the headlight units in the bonnet are a fair distance from he indicator / sidelight units - surely all the bonnet mounted lights want to go in one bundle (tucked inside the front lip of the bonnet), and the lower lights separately? Or am I being stoopid?

Shame he never paid attention in physics classes..........

anyway, the wires all join in the middle of the bonnet, on the lip.

So both sides are the same, and the main loom from thecar goes up one hinge arm, and again joins in the middle.

I have found an aerosol of wax spray (I use the toolstation one, cheap and available) on the electrical connectors stops all corrosion. I have also use dchain lube, that works well too.

Thanks Clive / Wimpus - what you say seems to tie in with what I removed from my car - I was just confused by how the new part comes made up:

So the three headlight wires are sheathed in with the sidelight / indicator wires. I can pick this apart and use the wires for the lower lights run along the crossmember and the upper lights up the hinge and along the inside of the bonnet - it just seemed odd that it should be made up like this is the first place.

npanne wrote:
Yeah - that'll be the blue ones  - the red / green / black ones are for the lower lights, which is why I was all confuddled about them sharing a protective outer with the headlight cables!

Also .. where there fuses between the front lights ? On mine there where original fuse holder in the noise.
maybe best to put some because otherwise the front lights are not fused :/

2250 wrote:
Maybee Mk1-3, where the indicators and side lights are part of the bonnet?

Harry

Now you say that - the item does show "multiple applications", some of which are early spit:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RL1570

npanne wrote:

Now you say that - the item does show "multiple applications", some of which are early spit:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RL1570

They may sell it as Mk1-3, but the original light units in those cars came with leads long enough to reach the center of the front of the bonnet, which is where the connections to the car's harness are. The headlamp leads are separate from the sidelight and flasher leads.
                                                                             Cheers,
                                                                             Paul