JohnD

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At what age are recommended to replace tyres? I had the ones on our Gt6 fitted in 2009 so have been on the car for 8 years. The fronts are wearing and probably require replacing before winter but the rears are virtually untouched

Regards

Bruce

Google "tyre age replacement" along with your manufacturer. I've not seen advice differ from "check yearly after five, change automatically at ten".
In my experience, anything over five years goes rock hard and doesn't want to wear down, or grip.

Quoted from Rubce
At what age are recommended to replace tyres? I had the ones on our Gt6 fitted in 2009 so have been on the car for 8 years. The fronts are wearing and probably require replacing before winter but the rears are virtually untouched

Regards

Bruce

Hi Bruce
On my daily I recently had to replace a 3 year old tyre due to cracking, I personally am more concerned with that than age up to a point. I would take a slightly older good quality tyre that has been stored out of the sun against a newer tyre  that's been made in the far east or eastern Europe.
Just my personal choice.

Quoted from ferny
rock hard and doesn't want to wear down, or grip.

That description pretty accurately describes the set of Michelin MXVs that came with my Sprint.  Compared to the budget Couriers I swapped them with, they were virtually gripless and flippin' terrifying in the wet.  They were less than a year old, or to be more precise, they had been fitted less than a year before by a reasonably reputable company (receipt present) but I don't actually know how old they were as this was before the date-marking system was introduced.

Nick