Baxter

Quick sanity check:

I'm about to add 2x reverse lamps to my 67 GT6 as it doesn't have any.  I've just fitted a new wiring harness and have some redundant cables.  I think the rear panel was replaced by the PO and he simply drilled and fitted rear flashers, as I was under the impression all GT6s came with reverse lamps.

However, flicking through the WSM last night, on matters unrelated, I happened upon a drawing seeming to show a GT6 without reverse lamps:

Where any such made?

In case it's relevant, my commission number is down in the low KC7000s

Assuming the reverse lamps should be fitted, is there a template to help find the correct position, or a simple measurement I can make from my flasher lamps?

B

Yes, the reverse lights on a Mk1 GT6 (or a pre-facelift Mk2, or equivalent Spitfires, where appropriate) are a few inches inboard of the indicators and are the same fitting as the Mk1 (Mk2 Spitfire) front sides and (apart from lens colour) indicators. See photo Fig65 on page 6-141 of the WSM.

I don't know whether they were optional, later cars only, or some combination. I would have expected all GT6s to have them. AFAICT all the WSM photos show them but the line drawings don't.

Thanks for the answers.

Glang, I'm with you on not wanting to cut the paintwork...it all looks so nice as it is.  But I don't really fancy anything hanging under the valance either.  Two standard light units arrived this afternoon, so I will just bite the bullet - if I've got suitable drill bit/cutter.

Meanwhile I see that the new loom only has one GN cable for reverse light and it exits the harness alongside the plate light cable in the centre.  Old loom had two cables, one each side close to indicator as you'd expect.  Was there a combined plate/reverse light?  I see one on ebay - maybe US spec.  Nothing is ever straightforward on this car!  Anyhow, it's not a problem to wire up the two lights from the one cable.

I think the reversing lights must have been optional.

My mk2 had them when I bought her in 83., however when it was badly damaged in 2014, the rear panel was replaced and we did not fit them...makes the rear end look fussy.

Rob is absolutely correct, it does seems like your loom may be a for a late mk2 car.

At the start of this thread I wrote to Autosparks, makers of the new harness.  They tell me that my order for a 66-68 Mk1 GT6 RHD harness was made using a harness from an original donor car as a pattern, and so the single breakout for reverse is deemed correct.  It really seems that may not be the case, based on what Rob and Tim say above, plus the fact that the original harness I removed from my car had the double breakouts.

Anyway, onto more important matters.  I popped onto the forum just now to confess to glang that I've come round to his way of thinking.  Funny to find Tim supporting the same view too - to my eye the rear looks even better without the reverse lights.  Have to decide now whether to go for a discreet under the valance or bumper light, or a bigger (but obviously not trying to hide) rally style Lucas WLR576.  Going without would give the best look from behind, but the only times I've modified car bodywork in the last 30 years both involved reversing into bollards in the dark!

Not the right car/bumper spec, but to give an idea:

All GT6 Mk1 have the twin reversing lights as standard fitment. Early MK2 had them in a slightly different position (they have no vertical rear overrider to get in the way) and the last MK2s, the facelift versions from KC75000-odd had the central reversing light on the number-plate shroud, same as (I think) Spitfire Mk3.

Entirely up to yourself as to where you want to fit them on your Mk1, if you don't want them in the original positions; if you do, measure twice and cut once and make sure the drill bit can't slip along the paintwork.

Dont think any of those options really adds to the look of the back end Oliver so I wonder if a waterproof strip of 12v LEDs attached to the bottom lip of the valance would do the job. Alright not period but pretty discrete (when not in reverse obviously) and they kick out some light....

Thanks Howard. Just given myself a headache scouring ebay, etc. trying to find some slim enough to fit on the lip at the bottom of the valance. That's only 1cm though, and most waterproof LED strips with some sort of lens/cover seem to be double that or more (plus often even greater depth).  I think placing one in the middle, then, going just below the valance would be discreet enough.  Like the look of this one, but can't find it available:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/2x-flexible-12-led-light-bar-auto-drl-lens/155640724.html

This one is similar, just with unwanted black surround:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/2x-flexible-12-led-light-bar-auto-drl-lens/155640724.html

I guess there's no rush as I can drive the car without reverse lights, and just keep an eye out for the right ones.  Certainly more pressing problems trying to complete my project!

Quoted from glang-

Some good old Halfrauds prices there! Its so annoying when with one of their trade cards (not difficult to get) they give large discounts and must still be making a profit....

£21.20 and £50.40 respectively, just over 20% off.

Must say I have some ring DRL's to put on my spitfire (it needs to be visible, people keep not seeing it) and they are mighty impressive and seem well made. Bought them at the stoneleigh spares day last year at about 330% of the retail price, bargain! Really should fit them.

So many options! Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

I just ordered the ones glang suggested above. Once anything gets too chunky, I think I'd rather just fit the standard units or a period under-valance job.  Will see how it goes and report back.  May take a while as I'm about to move workshop/garage and have a couple of jobs still to do before the car can make the journey without the trailer this time.

Quoted from Paudman-
Bought them at the stoneleigh spares day last year at about 330% of the retail price, bargain! Really should fit them.

That's quite a difference, but not sure if it worked out more, or less.... :)

fat fingers/small keyboard. one to many 3's.... (I paid £18, from the delightful paint people at the show. They came with a temp battery pack attached and a switch. And yes, I looked at them and pressed the switch. Then couldn't see for the next few minutes, VERY bright)