Matt Neale

The threads of the captive hinge plates for the drivers door have shredded.  Only one thread still works and as a result the door is sagging.  Has anyone got a solution that isn't too drastic.  I don't think I can get to them.  Can I use a tap and die set to re tread the plates?  Has anyone done this?

Yes, I have.    Use a suitably sized drill to remove the old threads and retap for a larger bolt.
From memory the OE bolts are 5/16" and the holes on the hinge plates are big enough for 3/8"
This (and other) sites give the right sized drill for the next size of tap: http://www.prescottengineering.co.nz/Tap%20drill%20sizes.pdf
It gives the correct drill size for a 3/8" tap as 21/64", a size you may not have in your drill set, but 8mm is near as dammit. (40 thou as near)

John

the caged plates are very thin and doesnt take much to strip the threads , they dont like a lot of work, ive tapped oversize in 8mm metric and 3/8unf , if in real trouble you can hole saw  the a post and get a socket with a nut on the back of the plate, bit extreme ,  
if its the door captive you can with the cards off  fiddle a nut on the back , you may need to drill through the cage
and with bigger bolts you need to open up the hinge holes , it will restrict some adjustment movement.

Pete

I've removed the captive plates from several cars that I broke. Long time ago but don't recall it being that hard. Think it involved levering part of the cage out of the way and sliding the plate out. Personally I would replace the plates and not drill and re-tap to a larger size especially more than one as you will reduce the amount of adjustment when refitting and lining up the door. In my experience these kinds of mods have a knock on effect.

Mark