Identifying OE Mk II Front Wings

Spitfire2500

The panels i bought a few years ago were in brown paint and although only a wing was used no problems arose when fitting / welding ( by a repair shop), i think most repros come in a black paint- also they should have the threaded bolt hole for the bumper to attach to- repros may not.
i hope this may be of help to you.

413 wrote:
I think most repros come in a black paint- also they should have the threaded bolt hole for the bumper to attach to- repros may not.

Pic of one of mine below. I reckoned on these being OE. Picked 'em up from Chic Doig last year for our 2000 TC but neither have the captive nut for the bumper.

Nowhere near fitting them yet -- loads of other stuff to do first  :(

Stanpart primer is a deep red with an orangey tinge. It is quite a thick hard finish, very difficult to remove.
British Leyland primer is a dark brown, very nearly black. It has similar properties to the Stanpart red, being quite hard. Both of these finishes have a reasnable sheen to them.

The Earlpart wings I've handled (the only manufacturer of repro 2000 Mk2 wings) have had a much thinner black coating, with a very flat finish.

Don't apply this logic to all repro panels, some suppliers have a finish quite close to the original Stanpart red....

Cheers,
Bill.

heraldcoupe wrote:
Stanpart primer is a deep red with an orangey tinge. It is quite a thick hard finish, very difficult to remove.

So that'd be what was on a panel I used? I tried to clean it up for welding with a paint stripping pad in a angle grinder and all the red did was swish around and get very sticky at first!

heraldcoupe wrote:
Stanpart primer is a deep red with an orangey tinge....

Don't apply this logic to all repro panels, some suppliers have a finish quite close to the original Stanpart red....

Thanks Bill.

That would probably make them Stanpart panels then. They were part of a large collection of 2000/Dolomite doors and panels that Chic had and he reckoned it was all Stanpart or factory stuff. (Mostly Dolomite stuff as it turned out when we searched through it to see if Chic had any sill or door panels for the 2000 -- on detailed examination the wings were the only 2000 panels we could identify!)

Just wondering what I've got.

Archived