How inner wings shouldn't look

Paul S

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the pics don't show the 'domed' strut tops, nor the n/s inner wing/turret which has also moved, but to a lesser extent...

and here's the o/s chassis leg from the front.. on the left of the pic is the box section which is the sumpguard front mount, and you can just see the hole where it's ripped metal out of the chassis leg...at least I know my welding was strong!

Thanks, currently assessing it all...

they weren't massively rotten...but they weren't rot free either, had been patched a few times before I got her.. yup, I never thought a strut brace that essential on the TR, as it's so much more substantial than previous cars I've used, but, all it takes is one heavy landing (or 5 consecutive ones in this case)..

aye, it was a bit of a heavy one... :'(  All the mechanicals look pretty much ok amazingly! the n/s strut casing  or stub axle may be bent though, not sure until I get it off and check it, but that's not a big problem, can get a new strut casing, and put the 21/4" coilover bits on the new one... rest of the mechanicals are all fine, the shell was the worst bit of the car!

Quick brainn dump of Spec of the car was:
1998cc 16v. 5spd LT77 gearbox. Standard Sprint engine with tubular SS manifold and skidded exhaust system. K&N filters on a pair of 1 3/4" SUs. New big end and main bearing shells. New timing chain, tensioner, & guides. New Spigot bearing. Good compressions on engine. New engine and gearbox mountings. New fuel tank (2 yrs ago). Uprated radiator with huge twin electric fans. Oil cooler. Uprated 'modern' alternator.

Partially seam welded (for all the good it did!). Quickrack. Sumpguard.  Adjustable spring seat 2 1/4" Coilovers on the front, 240lbs springs, nearly new Spax inserts. Anti-dive kit. Uprated subframe bushes. Uprated rubber TCA to A/R Bar bushes. M16 calipers with Capri Vented discs (nearly new) with M1144 pads. Custom made rear springs 220lbs 0.5" longer than std only done one event! Koni adjustable rear dampers. Poly bushes throughout rear axle. One brand new driveshaft in the backaxle (old one as a spare, turns out it was alright!  ) Aeroquip brake hoses all round..

Halogen headlights. Six point rollcage (not MSA compliant with current regs). 3 point harnesses (aircraft buckle). Standard seats. Hydraulic handbrake.

One way or another I overlooked this post for a few days it seems ...
Looks like one hell of a series of landings  :o

Am I right that the L-profile strip between inner and outer wing sheared off , or is it the (spot)welds between this strip and the outer wing that let go ?

Really hope you find a replacement bodyshell somewhere (and a lot of time  ;) ) to rebuilt the car.

[quote by=Paul_S link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1165948316,s=4 date=1165948873]... yup, I never thought a strut brace that essential on the TR, as it's so much more substantial than previous cars I've used, but ...[/quote]

't Kreng has some (paint)damage to the edge off the bonnet where it was "hit" by the frontwing during one off our "Nachtritten".
This means the inside off the frontwing can easily move some 5mm  inwards. That's why I decided to put a strutbrace in ...

Hi Theo-the spot welds sheared, although the wings were replaced by the previous owner, and it would now appear not a very good job was done!

Sadly at the moment I'm really not sure what to do, have a lot of other things going on too, so my only immediate plan is to clean the mud off (!) and start stripping parts off (but only after the Landrover's MOT'd so I've something more practical than my daily driver-a Mk1 MR2 with an LPG tank in the boot!) once I re-arrange the cars on the driveway..

Yeh, I do wonder if a strutbrace might have saved the shell (and some better welding  ::) )  Annoying actually-all my welding held just fine (re-assuring!), but the Previous owners' all split..

edit- by the way, on closer inspection it appears as though it wasn't all spot welds- it was riveted in places  >:(

I think it's too much-the inner wings have moved in by approx 1 - 1.5" with a big crease at the top, and moved up approx 0.5"... I would be loath to re-use those wings, the only way would be to replace the complete inner wing-and the rest of the shell just is not good enough to warrant the work (and money!)...

So the front chassis legs have probably suffered too ...

Quote:
and the rest of the shell just is not good enough to warrant the work (and money!)

... and to sum it up, the shell is beyond economical repair  :'(

As for the rivets, every TR7 front wing has one rivet at the back. Probably to do with the production.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

After a lot of thinking, and investigation, I have (foolishly!!) decided to fix MAP's shell... It is all now bent back in the right shape, and I shall be using my 'spares' shell to donate all the good panels/metal that will be required to get her back on the road again... It'll be a lot of time and effort, but I currently have more time than money ( not that that is saying much!  :P), so I'll hopefully be starting the letting in of new metal this weekend (weather permitting!)......

Archived