How inner wings shouldn't look

Paul S

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ta, it is a lot of work!  ;) Unstitched the remnants of the o/s sill last night... this afternoon hopefully will be unstitching the replacement sill from the spare car (original unouched totally sound sill, quite a surprise find!)..and start the welding tomorrow..  :P yes, this time there'll be a strut brace!!  ::) ;D

good luck paul
im at about the same stage as you at the moment but luckily ive been collecting new parts along the way so have the sills wings chassy leg etc.

so good luck and keep us posted.
are you going to do a blog ? would be interesting to ready and then i could compare what im doing and what your doing .

Al

[quote by=bmcecosse link=Blah.pl?b=tr78,m=1165948316,s=30 date=1180895302]As an aside to this - does anyone have a drawing of a strut brace I could use to make one up ??[/quote]
Started on it some time ago but than found out that Demon Tweeks did sell a strut brace for the TR7. It's from an Australian firm called Whiteline

I must admit, I was just going to fabricate something in situ, just measure it all up and see...maybe taking it back to the bulkhead too, hadn't really thought as yet.. Been too busy removing rusty sills, and a solid sill to weld back in...hoping to get the new sill in this weekend, although will also playing in the landy doing some green-laning too, now I've got that thing going again!  ::)

We'll only be using public rights-of-way, with a vehicular right-of-way on them, and in spite of what some ramblers seem to think, we all do more than our fair share of maintaining these public rights-of-way too, we will not be 'ripping them up'.

Ooo cheers!  :)

Ahh, it's that one in Cambridge  :-/  It'd be a lot easier than what I'm doing...need to have a think though, if the outer wings are grotty...then maybe what's underneath isn't great..

Ta for the link, will have a think! ;)

• 6 months later...

Well...a year after posting this, I'm afraid to announce that MAP will be going to the great scrapyard in the sky, and I'll be selling off all the parts in the new year..The more I got into the shell the more trouble I've found...having put the inner wings/turrets back to roughly the right place, they've sagged even more having been left a couple of months-about 10 or 15 deg negative camber on the front wheels at the moment! Also found the damage to the chassis leg is more extensive than originally thought.. All this combined with less and less time and money for 'car stuff' (my better half living in Spain and me living here is taking it's toll!!) means I'll probably be replacing her with a very cheap 'Endurance' rally spec car that's had some work done already..

I'm sure I'll still be nosying around the forum though, all the best to everyone, and hope you all have a Merry Xmas!!

Sad to hear you have to throw in the towell  :'(
On the other hand you can't keep pumping time and money into a shell that so far gone as you've found out over last year. Hopefully you'll be able to buy another TR7 one day ;)

Merry Xmas and the best wishes for 2008

oh my god!!
ive just finished the front chassy leg on my tr7 and what a job it was too . but at least the inner wings dont look as bad as this one now .
tongih i have just finished painint under the wings after derusting and priming.
must get some pictures on when it gets light
and i can find my camera.!!

My inner cills, turrets, and inner wings quite bad, and that was without the heavy landings. have a look at my website for some pics in the DHC restoration page or DHC album if you require some inspiration. Anything is possible with a little time and effort, you will see why my name is rust restorer!

Cheers Steve .
they are waiting to be blasted and then i can change the centres for Triumph ones.
they are just there to keep them out of the way ( space considerations.)
hvae just welded the wing wing on under the arch ( what a pig )
now i need to fit the door correctly and then turn the car around and start on the other side.

Al

Archived