Horn Push refurb

gfiandy

Some time ago when I was up at TRGB, I purchased a new horn push insert to replace the one I have (£2.50). I should mention that whilst they have a big bag of these I had to rummage through quite a few before I found a good one, the paint on many of them did not fill the different sections of the design. (Don't by one by post)

The problem with my old one is the clear plastic resin has cracked. This looks fine in most light but in bright sunlight the cracks reflect the light and show up.

So today I decided I would refurbish my old horn push the plan was.

1.) Dismantle horn push
2.) Check other parts
3.) Repaint surround of horn push - it looks like this was originally passivated metal but it had worn (I note that new ones seem to be chrome)
4.) Reassemble
5.) Test

To remove the insert you need to straighten out three tabs that retain the surround. (see photo)
Once disassembled all parts seemed to be OK and required nothing more than a little cleaning.

To repaint the surround I cleaned it with white spirit to remove any grease. Then I used two coats of enamel paint silver grey which was the closes to the original finish I could find.

I replaced the horn push with the new one.

Waited for the paint to dry.

Then reassembled. There is a key-way in both the surround and the horn push which must align for the assembly to fit back in the phenolic plastic. Once back in the three tabs need to be bent over again. I found it was easier to start the bend of with long nosed pliers then use a flat bladed screw driver to push it flat.

Andy,
Nice looking work. I was studying mine in bright sunlight Friday evening and noticed that the dark colour in the Triumph shield is blue whereas the rest of the background is black. I wondered if the blue is Royal blue, as is my car, or if it is just a shade that is close.
                                                                                                                    Cheers,
                                                                                                                    Paul

A few years ago at Stoneleigh I sold a box full of Triumph Hornpushes to a Lotus guy.

Swap the centre and the price quadrupled he said (after having paid a pittance for them!)

I have been lucky and had enough parts to make up good ones for my cars.

Cheers

Colin

Archived