Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries

junkuser

Anyone with experience with or knowledge about these batteries?

All I have been able to find so far seems to have a pushy, marketing orientation to justify the price.

The better quality ones are said to come from America so maybe that's where someone may have had some experience.

Thanks for the help,
                            Mal.

You might find that they are actually called Lithium-Ion, nothing to do with Iron.

They are the rechargeable ones that you find in mobile phones and cameras, not to be confused with simple Lithium batteries that are not rechargeable.

What application do you need them for?

L  

http://www.campertrailers.org/lithium_batteries.htm

This is a link to Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries, but not very helpful.

I was shown an article from a magazine by a friend who asked my advice on whether they were worthwhile as he spends time camping-out in the more remote parts of Australia.

I had no knowledge so started looking on the NET.

The original article said that Lithium Iron overcame the instability problems of the lithium ones used in laptops and 'phones which could explode.

Next step was to find out price to see if they were worth a punt so emailed Australian agent asking price and availability of a replacement battery for a Kia Sportage to get some idea.  (Easier than trying to describe the use my mate wanted to put it to.)

The price came back as "445 USD" with 3 weeks lead time (as they are built to order) for the smallest suitable so decided it was not worth the punt.  

Quoting in U.S. Dollars suggests they are having them built in the U.S. and importing them so thought I would post on the forum to see if anyone had first-hand knowledge just to satisfy my curiosity.

Any help appreciated.

Archived