Thomas4

Previous owner certainly made a bit of a mess here. There indeed should be four light bulbs in there, but they should have steel shrouds (see first piccie)
To start with the heater, the black wire (with th ered connector) should go to a point behind the other three connections (see second piccie) ...

As for the photo of the cigarette lighter etc. You should have posted this question a few days earlier.
Just finished the centre console, but forgot to take a picture of the wiring ...

Edit, if you post a picture of the various connectors I might be able to guide you through ...
(but please bear in mind that I am fairly busy with the DHC at the moment  ;))

Hi Beans thanks these pictures tell quite a lot already. The dpo for some reason cut the vent ground and used it for for the radio (picture below shows what he did to the radio console). The other end of the vent ground was sticking unconnected in a non-original dimmer switch (fortunately he kept the original one, and it is even working properly).

I have ordered a used radio console now, guess I should should be able to restore everything now without too much trouble.

- single black wire (cut by dpo) = ventilator ground

4-wire loom:
- black = ground for dimmed lights, cigarette lighter and radio
- red = switched +12 V from light switch goes to dimmer switch
- red/white = switched 0- +12 V for dimmed lights from dimmer switch
- pink = +12 V for cigarette lighter and radio

And the light bulb dangling in front must be for the cigarette lighter illumination (missing the proper socket there, but I have also ordered that). And the dimmer switch has no illumination?

correct?

Thomas

1958 wrote:
single black wire (cut by dpo) = ventilator ground

Correct, this wire is in the heater matrix’s loom

1958 wrote:
black = ground for dimmed lights, cigarette lighter and radio

Correct
1958 wrote:
red = switched +12 V from light switch goes to dimmer switch

Correct
1958 wrote:
red/white = switched 0- +12 V for dimmed lights from dimmer switch

Correct
1958 wrote:
pink = +12 V for cigarette lighter and radio

It’s actually purple for the cigarette lighter.
For the radio there is (or should be) a pink/white wire coming out of the loom somewhere near the back of the centre console
(near the centre consoles rear mounting point)
1958 wrote:
And the light bulb dangling in front must be for the cigarette lighter illumination (missing the proper socket there, but I have also ordered that). And the dimmer switch has no illumination?

Also correct

Hi Beans

Quote:
For the radio there is (or should be) a pink/white wire coming out of the loom somewhere near the back of the centre console
(near the centre consoles rear mounting point)

great, found it behind the carpet, actually together with another ground which must be the radio ground then.

One question remains: In the picture below on the right you can see a connector with connections black (ground) and red/white (+ for dimmed lights). Was that custom fitted (probably for radio illumination) or is that standard?
Thomas

PS: what I guess is that the dpo bought the car without a radio, wanted to fit a radio, but never found the radio power supply wires hidden behind the carpet and resolved the problem by hacking into the wires he saw. But worse, he didn't manage to fit said radio into the existing radio tray and cut a piece of the radio console away to install it  :'(

• 2 weeks later...

Still an after-market gear knob there. I got a gear knob (5-speed) second hand but it was the wrong thread, probably from another car by mistake.

The seats and head-rests are quite faded, would have liked to replace them, but they are not available anywhere. So either I live with them or I will have to change the complete interior.

Archived