Night dimming relay

RedRooster

Hi all,
i'm still trying to reanimate the Mk3 GT6, having a few electrical issues at the moment which isn't surprising giving that it hasn't seen electricity for 16years.
Managed to get most things working today apart from the door switches, radio, fuel gauge & every thing connected to the night diming relay.
I opened up the relay & gave it a good clean with contact spray, however the night dimming pcb tracks are all shot (open circuit) so that function doesn't work at all. After a bit of fettling the rear lamps are working on day light setting. My question is this, do i really need a night dimming setting or can i bypass the relay, also does anyone know the resistance of the pcb tracks as i could aways bridge across with external resisitors.
A new voltage stabiliser should see the fuel gauge working hopefully.

don't know whether you already have the stabiliser for your gauges, or want an original type, but I got a modern solid state one from eBay seller woko123,
I fitted it in minutes and does the job a treat. You can make them yourself for a little less, but I'm lazy.....

I shall bin the relay then, it only needs a few bridging conncetions to do, it seems a bit un-necessary & dangerous to me.

I've just bought a normal stabiliser, i did think about the modern ones, but they don't sem to have the same fittings.

Also fitted new calipers today, which was a right pain, though workable. The new calipers have smaller mounting bolt diametrs so i couldn't use the old bolts, luckily had some S spec (triangular pattern) unf ones in stock, also the new (12 year old) brake pipes had sized, so i had to make new ones again.
Rebuilt the master cylinder for the 2nd time & fitted a new water pump which has a slightly thicker casing, so not all the washers from the original fitted. Busy day in the garage but good fun.

Hello Giles,

the lights are bright enough for daylight use, then it seems sensible that they are overbright for night time?  The trend for more and brighter lights just leads to more dazzle and less night vision. Especially as so many seem to keep their foot on the brake when stopped in traffic!

The drawback with this unit is unreliability with age.

Alec

Archived