Which electronic ignition?

kritikon

I got Lumenition a few years back for my Stag, but the missus now has a GT6 and we'll be looking at putting electronic ignition into that. Just surfing Rimmer Bros (although we should be able to buy direct in NZ, I'm sure) the Lumenition is a fair bit costlier than the Piranha. Are there many major differences between the two? Is there any particular reason to go for one over the other for  GT6 (Mk III)? (I don't really know the details at all...not my thing, electronics).

Or even...is there some other make that we should maybe consider?

If the dissy is ok, Ignitor, Flamethrower, silicon stainless leads, + 0.40 plug gaps
If the dissy's knackered 123 dissy seems to be getting a good rep

Haven't used the petronics stuff yet but heard a load o good things about 'em, price is right, service is good, kit looks solid

I bought an Aldon Ignitor and have had no problems with it. They are very easy to fit and perform very well. I took 15 minutes to fit mine 2 years ago. I did have to adjust the timing slightly but it took all of 10 minutes to sort.

I did have an issue that turned out not to be anything connected with the Ignitor. I would get stuttering acceleration above 3000RPM espceially when flooring it. I went back to pints to establish whether it was the Ignitor or something else. The problem dissappeared so I assumed the Ignitor was faulty.

I sent it back to Aldon. They phoned me up and explained that they had bench-tested the unit and then put it in a test car and it had performed faultlessly. The guy (very knowledgeable and helpful) then explained that the earthing was very important and that the earthing wire from base-plate to distributor body was important. I thanked him and put the Ignitor back in with a replacement earth lead I made up myself. You can't get the little braided earth straps.

I tested the earth strap that I removed and sure enough it was open circuit! The car goes like the clappers and races round to 6000RPM+ without any stuttering.

The units fit inside the distributor cap effortlessly so there are no extra boxes of gubbins to worry about. The customer service I received was excellent, and the Ignitor II is apparently even better!

Go fo it!!!  ;D

Neil

Neil about changing the ignition timing I'm going to try turning the engine over by hand (pushing car forwards) until I get a flash from a timing light connected to N.1 lead. Then install ignitor leaving engine/car in same position. Then turn dissy until I get flash from timing light, should be exactly same timing as before. Whadya reckon?

Sounds like a good plan Mac. I replaced the points set-up with the Ignitor and just fired the car up. The timing had changed and I just adjusted the timing to what it had been previously. It was only out by a few degrees. If I was doing it now, having a timing gun that I didn't then have, I would note the timing dynamic (8BTDC or whatever it is) then install the Ignitor, then measure the timing again and adjust to the same 8BTDC or whatever.

The timing difference will only be small between the 2 set-ups. If your car is, as I understand it, just started after restoration, the timing may not be exactly where it wants to be anyway. The best advice I have been given and used about timing is to set it so that the car just pinks in top gear at 30MPH when you floor it. Don't go by static or dynamic timing settings although they are a good guide to get you somewhere close.

I hope that is helpful Mac. Your car looks fantastic BTW. Congratulations on all your hard work. You must be grinning from ear to ear!  :D

Neil

Hi Charlie,
Yeah been thinking about that, think it's because there's a slight difference in the magnet-sensor trigger position to the points-cam trigger position so in theory setting it up with a timing light without moving the engine should be same timing (from engine's pov) although maybe slightly different dissy position.

Neil, sounds good to me. Timing is stock MkII at the mo which seems to be workin ok, so I'll leave it like that while doing the lecky fat spark conversion, then try slightly leaner needles, play with carbs. One thing at a time. Then take her to a rolling road.

Archived