Reverse light switch

Baxter

Where do I find the reverse light switch on my mk1 GT6?  I'm just finishing fitting a new wiring loom, but as this was car was bought as a project I didn't have the benefit of seeing how the old one connected.  Searching this site and the web I can only find pictures for other Triumphs and see nothing similar on the housing near my gear lever

You should have a 3-rail gearbox. The reverse light switch is normally on the gearbox top cover just behind the raised bit where the remote attaches. It's quite well hidden by the remote.

Edit : I found this photo from Google search:

I believe some early gearboxes may have had a reverse light switch on a bracket in front of the remote, operated by a dog-leg lever on the extension of the the selector shaft. This is the same way the overdrive inhibitor switch is mounted, just on the left instead of the right. I certainly had a Mk1 Vitesse box with the operating lever there, but the actual reverse light switch was in the normal place on the top cover.

Thanks Rob.  I don't have a switch located there, like the photo you found.  I wondered if it was something to do with the dog-leg levers.  Mine just operate in mid-air but seemed in need of a job to do.  So it looks now like I'm short of a bracket to hold the switch here; and then another one for the other side for the overdrive inhibitor switch.  Will have to get shopping!

It's usually a single bracket that bolts down with the two front remote attachment nuts and has holes for two switches. My earlier Googling produced a photo of one, hang on....

This is, of course, a Spitfire box and has more switches than it needs. The ones labelled "Gear Lockout Switches" are the bit you're after. This being from a US forum, the labelling may refer to a neutral-detect function (the rather different lump on the front of my GT6's selector shaft would probably make the LH switch an "in-gear" one if it were fitted)

I'd already found the following two brackets on the GT6 mki/ii plates on the Canley Classics site

Overdrive Inhibitor Switch Bracket (PN 133770)

(the corresponding cam being marked as 'early type')

Reverse Bracket (PN 126746)

So I already ordered them.  I'll try to report back if they fit okay and the switches operate correctly.  May take me a while as I had a major project setback yesterday.

BTW the 'double ended' bracket in your photo did show up in my searches too, but it always seemed to be associated with the Kamm tail GT6/Spitfires.  Could that be the case?  I didn't look too hard once I'd found the above drawings and parts