Mk 2 Light Switch - Someone Enlighten Me

Mj17

OK, I give up.  I can't work it out on my own.  What the hell is the light switch all about?!?

One thing I didn't expect buying a 2000 was to be confused by the light switch but I am.

Most of it makes sense rotating the knob...

1) Parking light
2) Off
3) Side lights
4) Dipped beam
but then...
5) Side lights again.

Ech?

The final position (ie when you get just sidelights again) is for operating the optional front fog lights.
Triumph anticipated that, if you needed fog lights on because visibility was bad, you wouldn't want headlights on as well. Hence the extra lighting position.

It's a great voyage of discovery you're on. Have you worked out / heard about the night dimming relay in the boot yet.....?  ;)

Well that's one that would have been obvious if the fog lights fitted to the front of my car (don't know if original option ones or after market) we actually wired up!  Does answer the question of where I was going to out a fog light switch though.

I've not attacked the night dimming relay yet but as a long-time Spitfire owner I'm well aware of the danger of dazzling following drivers at night with my super-powerful 1970's rear lights...umm, yea.  Nothing that can't be sorted with a quick tug on the relays earth connection. ^_^

[quote by=Mj17 link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1181207040,s=2 date=1181209607]Well that's one that would have been obvious if the fog lights fitted to the front of my car (don't know if original option ones or after market) were actually wired up![/quote]

I think they were all after-market additions, although the factory did at least think to provide the wrining for them, which was nice of them!

[quote by=Mj17 link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1181207040,s=2 date=1181209607] Nothing that can't be sorted with a quick tug on the relays earth connection. ^_^[/quote]

Yeah, I know that NOW  ;) First time I did it I just went steaming in, pulling wires off the thing left, right and centre and eventually got the right one. Then managed to wire the rear indicators back up the wrong way round......  :B

;D

I think they'd be a great idea if todays vehicles were fitted with them. How many times do you get stuck in trafffic, at the lights or whatever and the nob in front just sits there with his/her foot on the brake pedal with no consideration for the poor person behind getting "blinded by the light". Don't think they know what a hand brake is for.

That light switch is quite cool really, if you start the engine with the parking lights switched on, the sidelights come on automatically to 'Prevent the vehicle from being driven on parking lights alone'. 

Someone really thought about it.

Also, the mk2 2000 was one of the 1st cars with fingertip controls for wipers, indicators etc. 

Lots of people ask me if the 2000 has leaf springs & a live axle on the back, which always sets me off when I point out that actually, they are a bit more advanced than that!!!

Night dimming relay, when you have your lights on, it dims the brightness of the brake lights so as not to dazzle!

Being as Triumph rear lights are marginal at the best of times, I always disable mine! Find the black wire on the relay and unplug/snip it. Relay will now not work!

Wow, Thanks. Explains a lot.

On a drizzly snowy day in Wales, my mate followed me in his modern Nissan (or Datsun as I refer to it) and complained that it was difficult to distinguish my brake lights from my tail lights.  And I thought he dropped back 'cos he couldn't keep up!!!

By modern standards, the rear lights are indeed feeble, especially as mine need the earthing cleaned up. 

Sorbs,

Rear lights are feeble, which is why you should disconnect the night dimming relay. The last thing you want is dimmer brake lights!!!

Most people are used to modern brake lights with a High level light too, so when faced with an old car with "marginal" lights, I want all the light I can get!!

If you are not sure about which wire to remove, come and see me next week at the National (hope you will anyway!!!) and I'll show you.

Rgds

Alan

Archived