black clutch fluid

daver clasper

Hi folks

Replaced my Girling clutch and brake M/C s seals 3 years ago. Brake one has been fine.

The clutch one has had 3 new seals since then (from suppliers who I know, will try not to sell crap)  .  One, where the small seal failed and fluid clear. Two, where the big seal leaking and fluid black. This last one was only fitted two months ago. The fluid has always been clear in the S/C.

Bore very smooth and shiny and M/C cleaned out and new fluid used each time.

Out of frustration, Have just fitted a new Landy M/C (£10, including postage!), though would rather use the original.

Any help great please.

Cheers, Dave

I had a very similar experience with my (quite possibly original) clutch M/C, and eventually, tired of mucking about with it, fitted a new one. No further problems, and the gearchange is nicer than I can ever remember which suggests it hadn't been right for a while. Bearing in mind that the clutch hydraulics get much more use than the brake hydraulics, I think you just have to accept that it's knackered and move on. The fact that the bore looks OK doesn't mean the small parts that make up the piston assembly and valve seal haven't worn, and it doesn't seem to take much wear there to make a difference - once the wear  is visible I'd say it's on borrowed time.

For the cost of a new slave or master cyl. I wouldn't bother with seal kits.
Replaced mine on the S a couple of years ago and it leaked before Christmas.
Have now fitted a 1" Land Rover slave one from Rimmers. Not too expensive, and still working ok at present.
Tony.

Hi Dave,
               the black stuff is Aluminium particles rubbed off the piston bore. Similar effect to when you polish Ali with Autosol - the rag becomes black.

As mentioned, the clutch is used far more than the brakes and generally over its full working length. The brakes rarely need full travel.

It will do no harm.

Roger