Davemate

i am looking for a rad fan switch, i did buy one but it has a 22mm thread so its too big for me to use in the stat housing.
i need one with a 16mm thread with 92 ---87 degrees.
does anyone know a part number or what car i need one from ?
it would so simple to just ask for a switch for a modern whatever !

the chap who sold me the one i got sent me this listing but my local car spares cant get any of the ones i want
http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/view_article.php?id=16

edit
just found one on ebay with other car listings
honda accord (1984--)
honda civic(1975-1991)
triumph acclaim
rover 213
all the same part number

Davemate,
The only difference to what I use is that mine has the tell-tale light connected to the relay with the fan wire so I know that the relay did turn on.
                                                                                Cheers,
                                                                                Paul

Paul,
   I like my way,its a good way. Your idea unfortunately(for me) is much better  :(  ;)
So i will do it your way,I was going to mount the relay down on the rad near the temp switch but now I will mount it up on the bulkhead to save the amount of wire to be run from my fuse box down to the front
Like you said it will prove that the fan is on instead of just proving that a feed is going to the relay but mayby no further !

Dave

Revised diagram

Dave, my 2ps worth mate.
I ran the earth from the fan back to the battery rather than using the chassis earth, depends on the power(amps) the fan you have uses, mine is off a Vauxhaul Corsa, powerful little beast and dimmed the headlamps/dash lights and turned the CD player off when the fan kicked in when using the chassis earth.

The tell tale lamp will illuminate even when the fan isnt powered when you are on the move as the fan blades are spinning by airflow past the blades as the fan motor becomes a dynamo, you will need to add some electronicatrickery bit to stop this, not sure what, i am sure somebody will come in on this.
I didnt bother with a tell tale lamp, just the override switch which i flick on in hot summer traffic or after a motorway run, sort of second nature to reach for the switch now.

Also in this cold weather the fan hardly ever comes on, bear this in mind when you are installing the thermo switch.

339 wrote:
Why would anyone bother with an override switch if you have a thermo switch installed?????????????

What if it broke/stopped working !

Question about  wiring
On the fan there is a sticker that says "12v 80w
So ----80w ~ 12v = 6.6amp ?(that is how it's worked out isn't it)   can I use 8amp wire for the supply for the fan
It's just I have a roll and it would save me having to buy another.

1344 wrote:
What if it broke/stopped working?

That's what mine did, when I started using the car for commuter service. One day the fan didn't kick in. I noticed the temperature going past 95C, saw that the fan light hadn't come on and hit the override. The switch has now been replaced, and I have a spare in case the new one doesn't last.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived