willowwisp2

Looks damp around the bottom of the bell housing (from 3 to 9 o'clock position on engine side of where engine/bell housing meet) and some transfer down the underside of the box. Not a lot but enough to spot slightly.

Sure it's gear oil so is there an internal seal that's prone to failure or any other suggestions?

Ta.

I was told by a trader at Stoneleigh a few years back that the scroll can't be changed for the later type seal. Stupidly, I believed him. I'm actually quite sure that the seal from a later gearbox, together with its top-hat housing that sits in the back of the bellhousing, can simply be fitted in place of the scroll. The input shaft is, I believe, the same, but even if it's not the worst you'd need is an appropriately sized alternate seal.

yes knock out the lightly pressed fit sleeved cover from the clutch housing and refit a one with the oil seal
the stem gear is the same

advantage of a scroll is it cant wear out,    disadvantage is it can leak if overfilled or you park on porlock hill !!!

other places are the bottom hsg bolt has to be sealed with some goos sealer and a copper washer as this goes thro the case to the oily stuff.

pete

Cheers for all the replies.

You've got me thinking now Pete re the bolt you mentioned.

It looks like the box is a re conditioned one as it's very clean and the mounts have been changed, so I'm wondering if the previous owners have just missed the bolt issue?  I'll have a butchers at that option first.

Ta.