TR20tc

My 75000 mile example uses virtually none. Never had to top it up.  I got it back on the road after 10 years in storage, I doubt the engine has ever been apart, amazing really! What it does use is leaking through the sump gasket.......

I'd use 1 litre / 1000miles as an indication of wear, plumes of blue smoke as an indication a rebuild is needed!

[quote by=sorbs link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1176296988,s=3 date=1176326420]My 75000 mile example uses virtually none. Never had to top it up.  I got it back on the road after 10 years in storage[/quote]

That is uncannily similar to my 2000TC.

Just hit 75k, only off the road for three/four years rather than your ten, uses virtually no oil as well :D

thanks for the replies.my 2000tc has covered 65000 miles from new and consumes about 1 litre every 2000 miles,but recently i made a high speed trip[travelling constantly at 85 mph]and the oil consumption rose to 1 litre per 600 miles,then during normal use the consumption returned to normal

[quote by=Spitfire2500 link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1176296988,s=4 date=1176331482]

That is uncannily similar to my 2000TC.

[/quote]

. . .  and uncannily similar to my Mk2 PI - in excess on 10 years off the road, did the Dutch Nightrally not long after recomissioning - 120 miles of good thrashing plus a lot more motorway miles (some of which were cruised on at 90 mph plus) . . . dipstick level never moved despite repeated nervous checking - yahoo!  ;D

P.I seems to be doing about 1000 miles per pint give or take. Surprisingly on trackday when I expected it to use some and kept checking it the level hardly moved! Did notice a few puffs of blue though on overrun from high revs. Not a great surprise with 120,000 miles on the clock.

Most of the oil my 2000 MKII was using was due to it leaking out of the sump plug, which was a replacement magnetic type that "almost" fitted correctly and had been steadilly oiling the garage floor over time. Fortunately the addition of a little PTFE tape cured this during the last oil change and it now doesn't seem to lose even a single drop from there.

Archived