What type of engine oil

Caroline

I normally use Unipart 20/50 or something with an SF classification.

Others swear by Morrisons / Tesco 20/50.  It's probably fine but only has an SA grading.  Halfords 20/50 is ungraded.  Again, that's probably fine too.  My car covered 5000 miles on a fill of this and suffered no ill effects.

Just refilled mine with Comma 20/50 as my local Unipart place had sold out. It's not easy to find decent 20/50 these days.

You should use EP90 in diffs and gearboxes, unless of course you're lucky enough to have an automatic in which case you should use the appropriate grade of ATF.  Apparently it's important to use GL4 spec EP90 oil.  GL5 oils are alleged to cause damage to old fashioned transmission components but trawling the internet on this subject leads me to conclude that this is nothing more than an urban myth.

Caroline wrote:
And filter? (Have a spin on conversion). Just been reading the GT6 oil filter thread!

Unipart GFE30 or GFE10 (if you can find any). Not sure of any other make/numbers but an autofactors place maybe able to cross-reference that.

Hello all,

As Alan says,

"20/50 Mineral based Classic oil.
Duckhams usually!"

I too have used this for longer than I can remember but my local stockist tells me that it is now no longer made or available? Has anyone else heard this?

I think I'll have a look at my local oil manufacturer, Morris's of Shrewsbury. Support local trade?

Alec

Thanks all. Got a HOF206 but can't report on it's fit cos can't get the old one off!!!! One complication after another - sump plug fell in old oil, and can't get off old filter! Grrr. Have tried a filter removing rubber strap thing (technical term escapes me) but won't budge, and can't do screwdriver trick cos car's not on ramps and no manuoevre space. Suggestions?!

Hi

You can get inexpensive filter wrenches and unipart used to do a fantastic metal socket which fitted the top of the filter and had a 1/2 inch ratchet drive... I am talking early 80s though so might be out of stock now!

The other trick is to take a sheet of P40 and wrap it round the filter whilst gripping and turning with all you're might... it will start to turn ever so slightly, although it won't improve your hernia.

Oil.. yeah Millers standard mineral 20/50 is good and made in Yorkshire...?

Perhaps some delicate Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Tuscany might suffice or is that just for Alfas?

Cheers

Darren

I have just put some Millers 20/50 in the saloon, seems ok, although oil pressure did drop at Silverstone the other month on the MGoT TD.

The GT6 has Valvoline VR1 mineral 20/50 in it, top stuff, will use again. can be found for £28.00/5 litres.

Oil filter removal: Motor factors sell big sockets that fit around the outside of filters, try one of those. If you cannot find one that accurately fits, try wrapping masking tape around the filter to make up the shortfalll.

Frustratingly the oil filter was put on that tightly by the person at the company who shall remain anonymous who did the service at my expense! Grrr.

I'll try all the above when it stops raining. Meanwhile put in new oil anyway and the car made it to Crich and back no problems. Clearly old filter mustn't stay on too long though, but loathe to waste 7 pints of new oil just yet.

Is a a chain wrench removal tool better than a rubbery one then?

Archived