Trolleybus

Has anyone had this problem?
I have just taken my 2500TC for its first long run after fitting a new engine with EFI.
We were off to the muffler man for a twin pipe set up. When it was on the hoist I noticed oil dripping from the bottom of the engine. Now this alarmed me greatly as oil leaks have dogged the project.
When I got home, about 25k run, I noticed that the bonnet had oil on the underside adjacent to the oil filler cap. I have fitted an aftermarket tappet cover, see photo. Upon removing the filler cap I found that it had a hole in the inner and outer layers of the cap that lined up. When you look in the filler hole you see two rockers with oil exit holes lining up the hole in the lid. Now the first thought was that the crank case breather valve was defective, but it seems to be OK. I am using a single throttle body and the breather pipe enters in front of the butterfly. My first inclination is to use a blind rivet to block the inner hole in the cap?
Any feed back welcome,
Bernard.

Breather pipe enter "in front" of the butterfly?
Do you mean between the 'fly and the engine, or the fly and air filter?
It should be the first case, s that it 'sees' a vacuum when the 'fly is closed.
Try rigging up a temporary catch tank and see what goes in there.

No need for any breather holes in the filler cap if your crank breather system is working.
How is the crankcase pressure?   Take off the cap and see.  Gentle breeze - normal.  Mighty wind,  Hmmmmm.

BUT! What engine have you got in there????   Dip stick to rear of inlet manifold!!!
Or is that for an automatic gearbox?

John
PS Nice set up!   Beautifully made plenum chamber, what's the ignition system?
Please tell us more!  J.

this little hole has caused problems before , my view is its just aftermarket copying to allow those that had a retaining wire or chain
to be pop riveted in place,  two holes, some had inside some had retention outside
triumphs had neither ,, just plug with a sealed pop rivet or similar
an 3mm hole wont aid any engine breathing , just   likely to leak ,  you have that tee shirt   Ha !

Pete

JohnD wrote:
Do you mean between the 'fly and the engine, or the fly and air filter?
It should be the first case, s that it 'sees' a vacuum when the 'fly is closed.

Not necessarily!

On modern cars (where this type of setup is the norm) there are nearly always two breather tappings. The big one (like the 1/2 bore hose on the standard setup) feeds to the air filter side of the throttle, because it's a bulk breather. There is a tiny bit of vacuum there due to the air filter. The secondary breather, which goes downstream of the throttle, needs to be restricted, i.e. only a small hole, to prevent excessive crankcase vacuum.

This is similar to what the factory did, in fact. Early cars (certainly Mk1 Vitesses, anyway) had a manifold tapping for the breather, but needed a restrictor valve device to keep the flow down. Later cars did away with that by moving the breather to the carbs, where it feeds the "constant vacuum" section, which is before the throttle butterfly.

that's how mine is set up now^^

from the oil catch/separator tank one tube to the pi bodies vacuum take off balance tube with a 1.5mm restrictor ,and before the restrictor a 1/2" tube tees off to the intake tube from the air filter.

with efi you don't really want large bore tubes under constant vacuum from the crankcase,it will cause excess oil consumption and efi is very sensitive to mixture ratios if set to the optimum.
a varying vacuum will upset the mixture level as it will not be constant like when the engine is under maximum load compared to light cruise.

it sounds like you are still getting crankcase pressure.i would suggest converting the breather system to a 5/8 diam pipe.don't forget the longer the pipe is the more restrictive it will be for the engine to 'push' the vapours out.
could be interesting to tap a low pressure air gauge into the rocker cover to see what's going on.

i'v seen some drag race engines using 1" breathers 1 on each cover of a v8 ::)

Thanks Chaps,
Haven read all the above good advice.
I think my problem may be the breather valve. I will take that out and plug the hole in the cap.
Any crank case pressure should then be easily relieved.
"PS Nice set up!   Beautifully made plenum chamber, what's the ignition system?
Please tell us more!  J." WWW.canems.co.uk
"Do you mean between the 'fly and the engine, or the fly and air filter?"  Between the fly and the filter
"BUT! What engine have you got in there????   Dip stick to rear of inlet manifold!!!" That's the Auto dipper. Its a 2500TC take out to 2700cc.

Thanks Chaps,
Haven read all the above good advice.
I think my problem may be the breather valve. I will take that out and plug the hole in the cap.
Any crank case pressure should then be easily relieved.
"PS Nice set up!   Beautifully made plenum chamber, what's the ignition system?
Please tell us more!  J." WWW.canems.co.uk
"Do you mean between the 'fly and the engine, or the fly and air filter?"  Between the fly and the filter
"BUT! What engine have you got in there????   Dip stick to rear of inlet manifold!!!" That's the Auto dipper. Its a 2500TC take out to 2700cc.

JohnD wrote:
You'll have to show better than that, Trolleybus!
All I can see on that link is Landies, Capris and a Porsche!
Post us a few more pics here, please!
JOhn

Need to look a but closer there's a TR6 on there with dual fuel.
Try this link http://www.canems.co.uk/pdf/injection_manual.pdf

Can't get the forum to accept my photos so If you want email me with your email address and I can send

Bernard.

JohnD wrote:
You'll have to show better than that, Trolleybus!
All I can see on that link is Landies, Capris and a Porsche!
Post us a few more pics here, please!
JOhn

Need to look a but closer there's a TR6 on there with dual fuel.
Try this link http://www.canems.co.uk/pdf/injection_manual.pdf

Can't get the forum to accept my photos so If you want email me with your email address and I can send

Bernard.

That's a link tot the company's ECU page.

Why can't you post pictures Bernard?  Are they too big?
Loots of advice here and elsewhere on compressing pics.
They can't be more than a certain size - the 'advanced' posting page will tell you, but 604x480 pixels is good.
What operating system/version of Windows do you use?

And please post here - your car's engine bay looks to good, I'm sure everyone would like to see the whole thing!
JOhn

JohnD wrote:
That's a link tot the company's ECU page.

Why can't you post pictures Bernard?  Are they too big?
Loots of advice here and elsewhere on compressing pics.
They can't be more than a certain size - the 'advanced' posting page will tell you, but 604x480 pixels is good.
What operating system/version of Windows do you use?

And please post here - your car's engine bay looks to good, I'm sure everyone would like to see the whole thing!
JOhn

Not sure what you are after with the information on the ECU but check this link:- http://sportingregister.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/TRIUMPH-TC-i-PROJECT.pdf
As to the photos, I think the problem was that I first tried one that was too large and it locked me out? I started with the same size as the one in my first post. then I halved the size.
Bernard.