Cheap Oil cooler .........

CHRIS211083

Yes again on ebay, its going for £15 and includes the cooler and the inlet and out let oil lines. The other parts of the kit needed i have seen for £10 before on ebay so if this is your bag then this is seriously cheap......I was going to get it myself but ive ran out of funds.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270670612584&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Sorry mate,
                  but oil is oil and it doesn't matter what part it comes from. The cooler is a generic cooler and the only thing you need to know is how many rows it has. All it does is cools the oil. Whether its from the engine or gearbox it doesn't matter neither does the oil viscosity. The bits that do matter are the thermostat if you decide to run with one and the sandwich plate that goes in between the filter and block.

Chris.

I still wonder if that particular cooler and its lines would take the pressure of engine oil? Basically, if I'm going to run hot, pressurized to 50-70 lbs/sq.in., oil of a relatively expensive engine out of the block, through some sort of hose to a cooler and back again, I'd want to be pretty sure it's designed for the job and is going to hold up!  :)

That's exactly the same 13-row radiator that has been sold for Triumph engine oil cooling in the past, usually supplied with hoses just like that.   Don't know about "Kenlowe", I'm sure it's carried other names, eg Mocal, Setrab, ThinkAutomotive etc. etc.

Handy to know that they may be available from scrapyards as gearbox coolers,  As to cleaning them out,  a soak in some engine cleaner and flush with hot water should remove any rubbish.

I don't like the push-on fitting to the connectors. Not acceptable for the life blood of the engine.  Find a hydraulic supplies company near you - a farmers' supplier, if they don't do it, they will know who does, or use Yellow Pages.  Mine will make up, to your length, while you wait, wide bore hoses with screw-together fittings swaged on.  Not a lot of money, either.  The swaged fitting should fit the cooler connectors and the oil filter connections (take-off plates for modern filters always have screw-on connectors) so take the parts with you to ensure you get the roight fittings.

John

JohnD wrote:
That's exactly the same 13-row radiator that has been sold for Triumph engine oil cooling in the past, usually supplied with hoses just like that.   Don't know about "Kenlowe", I'm sure it's carried other names, eg Mocal, Setrab, ThinkAutomotive etc. etc.

Handy to know that they may be available from scrapyards as gearbox coolers,  As to cleaning them out,  a soak in some engine cleaner and flush with hot water should remove any rubbish.

That's exactly what I was thinking - hard to tell without seeing it in the flesh but it seems to match my old GT6 Mocal unit...

Hi,
Volvo also used a cooler that looks the same on their 740 Turbo model. I'm not sure about the thread of the hose fittings though.
                                                                             Cheers,
                                                                             Paul

Those push-on hoses, with jubilee clips, paudman?   Ooeer, missus, that's like an a elastoplast on a bleeding artery.

Here's a pic from Old Silverback.  See the hoses to the Laminova oil/water cooler, the black, not the blue!   Wide bore and swaged fittings - they are NOT going to come off!

John

There are of course many different grades of hoses available for oil coolers, and also many different fittings to go on the oil coolers themselves.

Swaged lines DO have their advantages, but if they get damaged, then they are not fixable by the owner, there and then, say - in the paddock.

There are fittings that you can push hoses onto, but not pull them off agains without cutting, every bit as secure as swaged fittings.

There are also quality hoses that are extremely resistant to cutting and damage.

The real answer is of course correct fitting in the first place!

L

Hi all i started this thread just to bring to the attention of anyone wanting a cheap oil cooler. However it seems to have turned into a would it be suitable or not scenario. End of the day it was perfectly suitable and the new owner can do what he likes with it, as the bidding has finished now.

Thanks for all comments, Chris.

JohnD wrote:
Those push-on hoses, with jubilee clips, paudman?   Ooeer, missus, that's like an a elastoplast on a bleeding artery.

er... no. Those were wire-reinforced hydraulic hoses over swaged connectors and the jubilee clips were behind the swages- not really required as once they went on, they were stuck on and immovable. It was fitted for years to my Spitfire, after that the GT6 for nine years, then sold on earlier this year. Never leaked, not so much as a dribble, and certainly wouldn't have blown off.

Archived