pulley oil seal and associated bits

Fizzy

i seem to have an oil leak from the seal behind the pulley wheel, and while ive got the timing cover off i thought about replacing the chain and tensioner being as im already in that bit of the engine. ive no idea how old it is, ive not ventured into this bit of the engine before. its not making any untoward noises or anything, but i just thought as im there why not ? for 15 quid i can get the new seal, gasket, chain and tensioner so figured its worth doing.

is there any reason not to though, before i pull it all apart ? would the sprocket need changing to go with the new chain ? anything i should look out for doing this job ?

Do you have leaks,rattly noise or problems with timing?
If not drop an aspirin into the rocker and leave it
If you have the above symptoms then by all means ,if you have not or it has not been changed since Adam drove the car then do it
However if it was me I would change sprockets aswell, as the old chain wil have worn them to its profile .
OR, if you are spending money, get a Duplex vernier ,twin sprocket/chain for better adjustment etc

Jason,
I have chased the same leak on my Mk2 and I think you should examine the part of the pulley wheel that runs in the seal for a groove. If you find a groove your best chance for fixing the leak is a new pulley wheel, so, you might want to budget for the pulley wheel before the timing chain.
                                                                                    Cheers,
                                                                                    Paul

Correct, if you have a leak from the timing cover oil seal it could be the seal or as said a groove worn in the pully flange
Pulley`s are hard to come by that arn`t worn, so may be a good metal sprayer could do that job in a short time and then ground back to original diameter
If the oil leak happens to be the timing cover gasket then this goes back to an old thread of the bottom t/cover bolts stripping the alloy cross bracket on the c/case
If you are taking the cover off then thats an ideal time to check that alloy block

thanks for the replies. im not having any undue trouble with timing or rattles etc - not from that part of the car anyway ;D ive had the car 3 years and its not been done, before that i have no idea. from what i know from the cars time with the previous owner, i'd say its at least 5 years old if the owner before him changed it. so basically no idea of the age of the chain. im keeping costs down to wont be duplexing. the only leaks the engine has is from the well known rear corner of the block/head and this new leak from the pulley area. its definitely not coming from the gasket. i will examine the pulley when its apart. i hope not though, its my only car and i was hoping to just replace the seal and get the job done.

it will definitely be done, minimum of seal and gasket. not sure what i'll do if the pulley is scoreed, i dont know where id go to get it sorted. thanks for teh info about the screws, wasnt aware they are different lengths.

fortunately i get my oil for free, so at least its not costing me anything while its dripping out ;D

If you do have a groove in the pulley, no need to renew it just put a couple of extra shims behind it to move the part the seal runs on. A 'V' fanbelt will tolerate a tiny bit of mis-alignment (or a spacer in the timing cover to move the seal back a mm will do the same).

I have an alloy pulley and do the above

Andy

If the pulley is worn where the seal sits there are some sleeves that can be slid over the  pulley shaft. They are very thin and give a good sealing surface.
Not sure who does them or what sizes but others have commented on them. Much cheaper than metal spray if obtainable.

Roger

www.acorn-ind.co.uk/products/speedi-sleeve      try this for speedi-sleeves   many different sizes.

Jason,
The sleeves that Hogie mentioned are available from SKF as Speedi Sleeve or something to that effect. There may be other suppliers. The problem with them is finding a stockist who will sell the one you need rather than, say, ten of a size.
                                                                                Best of luck,
                                                                                Paul

Just done c/shaft pulley seal on my 1500, the old seal was the 'cheaper' type , lucky i had no groove in pulley just poor single seal lip rubber that had gone hard in 6 months causing a drip when i parked up.

I replaced with, and can highly recommend a 'Payen' branded seal, double seal lips and quality rubber and springs, bit more expensive but does wht its suppose to very well (£6.50 delivered ebay)

uksnatcher wrote:

I replaced with, and can highly recommend a 'Payen' branded seal, double seal lips and quality rubber and springs, bit more expensive but does wht its suppose to very well (£6.50 delivered ebay)

Yes, had to do my own twice, first seal was from a major supplier and leaked from the start. Better quality seals may cost more but they save a lot of duplicate time and effort.

uksnatcher wrote:

I replaced with, and can highly recommend a 'Payen' branded seal...... (£6.50 delivered ebay)

Ebay link for the Payen seal Fizzy, quick delivery too...

1300 (small crank):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OIL-SEAL-CRANKSHAFT-TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-HERALD-/200522853384?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb017ec08

1500 (large crank - GT6 etc 6cyl engine the same seal):
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OIL-SEAL-CRANKSHAFT-GT6-TR6-VITESSE-2000-2-5-TRIUMPH-/200522866800?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb0182070

rhodes wrote:
Rubber gone hard in 6 months?  I've had mine for 32 years.  Obviously don't make them like they used to.

Guess not.....! Utter rubbish, shouldnt be allowed to sell them, maybe the modern seals cant handle classic oil    ;D

2402 wrote:
Fizzy i have a seal, timing chain and tensioner with gasket that you can have for the price of postage. It was for my rebuild but i went duplex in the end. Pm me your address and how quick you want it and ill let you know the postage cost..

Chris.

Nice offer Chris 8) 8)

Well it will only sit here other wise. I was going to rebuild my own motor but had three operations and that kind of cancelled it. So i got it built by Chic Doig, this left me with some spares that i had saved up to do my rebuild my self so he's welcome too them. Im sure people would help me out on here if i ever got stuck, just repaying the favour

Chris.

Archived