What adaptor would fit this oil-pressure line?

Nilfisken

Hi,
soon gonna fit a Smiths Classic mechanical oil pressure gauge. The gauge was bought from eBay in what at least appears to be very good condition and included the line. I ordered an adaptor for fitting it to a t-fitting at the normal oil pressure metering point but I guess I got an adaptor that wont fit? The adaptor has the same fitting at both ends and I assume it wont work with the conical fitting at the oil-line? Can anyone give me the correct name for the the type of thread needed to attach the pressure line?
Cheers

Hi,
think I solved the problem. The adaptor I got was incorrect (wrong part shipped from company) so I am having it returned and replaced. I asked for an NPT 1/8 - typical oil pipe adaptor, which should fit into engine block or suitable T-fittings. The other end of the adaptor will look like the one in the picture which supposedly is 1/8 BSP for flat fitting so the cable needs to be replaced to (new one should be coming tomorrow). The conical fitting of the oil line seems to be more suitable for original MG applications while I will be better off with flat fittings at both ends. At least mistakes helps to learn but it takes a long time to get all the parts rounded up before the gauges can be in place :/
Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Got the right part shipped and then installation was a breeze :)

Oil pressure switch before 'operation'

New T-fitting with oil line installed side by side with the original pressure switch. With the right adaptor everything worked fine. The new oil line is now using 1/8 BSP flat fittings with fibre gaskets at both ends.

All seems to work perfect. No oil leaks and yet another gauge to nervously monitor...

Oil pressure at idle around 50 from cold start dropping to 15-25 when hot (1000 rpm). Pressure during normal driving 40-55. I guess these figures are fairly good?

Cheers

Coincidentally I just did this today too, installed an oil pressure gauge, T piece and new switch.

Oil pressure on mine was 50-60psi cold start, normal driving 40-50psi, dropping to 15-20psi when hot. Don't know if thats of use to you, but my engines only done 16,000 miles since total rebuild and has no strange noises or problems.

Rather regret installing a 20psi 'early warning' oil pressure switch now though, as my 650rpm hot idle will always activate it!

Nice info,
good to get readings from a fresher engine. Mine shows about 60,000 on the meter but the engine appears to be running good even though it has a dirty exterior. Checked valve clearances today and they were all pretty close to 0.010 and the general look of the whole the rocker assembly wasn't to bad. I was initially worried that the pressure dropped below 20 when standing still on very low rpms but it seems to be just normal. Today was the first incident free drive since I got the car, spent four hours working under the hood and about one behind the wheel, just the perfect balance ;)

Tomorrow hopefully get the new voltmeter and gauge lights hooked up and then install the electronic ignition and end the day with a few tens of miles of test drive.

Archived