Paul Garvey

Enough copper pipe to make a still - hence the title.  

Bought a couple of 'extra' Mk2 Spitfires a couple of weeks ago and one has a GA block with this remote oil filter setup.  There are three feeds tapped into the block (not counting the removed oil temp/gauge combo feed).  One is direct from the rocker cover (with a tap) - the other two are from the remote.  Bit of a 'spagetti junction' and never seen the like before so had to share.  

For all the thought and trouble I can only wonder why the original Mk2 engine wasn't kept...  

By the size of it I would hazard a guess it is a By-pass filter, which only handles about 10% of the flow: not the full flow as per the original. The tap on the rocker cover is the adjusting medium....? It is remarkable that for the 40 odd years these SC engines were around no one came up with a better oil filter arrangement, as happened on the 6 cylinder engines to prevent the dreaded drain back,

Cant really see but is the rocker cover feed an engine breather instead of going to the carbs/manifold?

Odd setup..!

Is there a normal engine filter?

Is the filter is like a big toilet roll in a fabric sock? If so looks like a long life filter thats changed every couple of years that assists the main engine filter and prolongs engine filter changes
IE you only change the oil at 6 months instead of an oil and engine filter, at 12 months oil and engine filter change... as mentioned above, a by-pass filter promoted to fleet garages to cut servicing costs, and still widely used today on HGV's.

hypoid53 wrote:
It is remarkable that for the 40 odd years these SC engines were around no one came up with a better oil filter arrangement, as happened on the 6 cylinder engines to prevent the dreaded drain back,

The 6-cylinder engine drains back because of it's design, hence the need for a modified filtration system.
The 4-cylinder engines from 1147cc and above have a filtration system which works perfectly well. The problem lies in the quality of filters supplied, or owners being unaware that they need to use a filter which incorporates a valve.

Cheers,
Bill.

Looks like whoever fitted that one has put the output from the filter into the rocker cover and has fitted a tap to control the volume of oil that can pass through the filter.
There was no suggestion of doing this in the fitting instructions, I would have remembered that, so either he had a problem with too much pressure drop or was just planning ahead in case.

Can't work out why there is more than one tapping into the actual block Paul.
I'm sure that the filter was fed from the oil gallery and returned into the crank case.
I only had spanners in those days so the fitting kit was sufficiently complete to do the job with these.
From memory they used banjo bolts into existing tappings in the block.  (1937 Ford V8. The fitting kits were probably make and model specific.)

That pamphlet has been residing in the only reference I had in those days, Motors Auto Repair Manual, ever since.