JeffG

In SU carbs (and as strombergs are a copy, I would say those too) thick oil richens during acceleration more than thin oil.

The oil stops the dashpot rising as fast, therefore more vacuum over the jet, and more fuel sucked through. It is not so much about the needle at this point, that is when the dashpot is no longer moving up or indeed down.

20/50 always seems to be a good oil to me, as it maintains a relatively even viscosity compared to many other oils.

The way I understand it is the oil doesn't make much difference under gradual throttle application, but rather really only when one gives a bit of welly.
Under harder acceleration a lighter oil will allow the  metering needle to rise more quickly than a heavier oil will.  Under harder acceleration one ideally wants the mixture to enrichen somewhat.  This is attained by slowing down the speed that the metering needle and dashpot rises.  
As the engine wants to suck more stuff in, the dashpot/air valve and metering needle will rise to allow more of it all in.  By keeping the air valve and needle down, the suction will automatically draw in more fuel through the jet and thus enrichen the mixture.

May I stand corrected if this is not the case

Some say sewing maching oil is good, others say ordinary engine oil is good.  Repair Operation Manual for the Stag with 175CDS Strombergs says engine oil if I'm not mistaken.  I use 15W40, the same as the engine.

Julian

Edit: I see as I was distracted while typing out the above, Clive has come along and laid it out in fewer words.

I have always used 10W 40 in SU's.

To be honest, I would doubt that anyone could actually tell the difference reliably. Yes, thinner oil allows the dashpot to rise more quickly on throttle snaps, as the damping effect is lower, but the difference would only really be really measurable on a good dyno.

BTW, I work in the powertrain development department of a large car / truck / bus manufacturer....

easy, syringe, oil samples, stop watch , flat road,  

now you can remove/ add different oils and time the acceleration to see if messing about can get better results than Triumph and Zenith mangaged to achieve ,  its much better to believe in the manuals and go and enjoy the car

Pete

peterhlewis wrote:
syringe

Related:  If you do a web search for "disposable pipettes" (or have a lab supply store nearby), pick up a couple of packages of these:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/38754746/50-mini-pipettes-disposable-plastic

They are excellent for sucking or squirting small volumes of fluids from/to carb dashpots, brake reservoirs, oil into cylinder bores through spark plug holes, etc.  After use, discard & don't worry about cross-contamination of brake fluid, water, oil, etc.

Archived