Oobyscoot

What oil do people recommend for the dashpots of SU carbs?

It is the last fluid to be refilled following my spit 1500 engine rebuild, but thinking about this, too thick and surely the engine pick-up would suffer, too thin and potential for stalling.

I have done a quick search but not found an answer.

Cheers all.

I always used 3 in 1 oil in my SU carbs which seemed fine.  I tend to use light oil in the 2000's Stromberg carbs too.

I think engine oil is specified for most Triumph carbs so probably best to start with that.  

I've tried various oils in the 2000's carbs and found it to make a minimal difference.  Mental note, must check to see if they have any oil in them at the moment................

Cheers for the quick response.

In the past I have always gone with 10/40 engine oil, but just wondering what others like to use......

on my shelf I have :

General purpose household oil
10/14 fully synth bike engine oil
20/50 semi synth engine oil
15/40 mineral engine oil
5/50 semi synth engine oil
80/90 hypoid gear oil
10w motorcycle fork oil
15w motorcycle fork oil
20w motorcycle fork oil
citroen LHM fluid
hydraulic jack oil
2-stroke engine oil
penetrating oil

and about 300 litres of used veg oil. (technically this is next to the shelves, but close enough)

Which would you go for from that lot?

I suggest you use SAE20, so the 20W motorcycle fork oil.
The "book" specified engine oil when only single grades where available.

A multigrade like 20W50 will not work as well; it will work OK when the engine is cold but gives too much enrichment when the engine  heats up.

The oil in an SU enriches the mixture by slowing down the piston, sort of like an accelerator pump on Weber carbs.

2099 wrote:

A multigrade like 20W50 will not work as well; it will work OK when the engine is cold but gives too much enrichment when the engine  heats up.

The oil in an SU enriches the mixture by slowing down the piston, sort of like an accelerator pump on Weber carbs.

the fork oil seems to work well. Eventually (see my distributor post).

Thanks.

Quote:

I'm with Akuma. When I asked someone at Burlens in Salisbury they specifically said not to use 20/50 multigrade.  Only plain SAE20.

ferny wrote:
The best I've found is ATF. Rather helpful having loads left over after doing a service on the Acclaim.

Good call, Sir, IMHO. :)

I trained (on other BL stuff among other things) many years ago now, and ATF, specifically the Donax variety as specified for the Dolomite auto, was what the old gaffers always told us to use in Stromberg dashpots, I still use it in my Dolomite's (on its original Strombergs) dashpots, it works, simple as that.

As usual, this sort of conversation turns into expert statements by experts, when the answer is to understand the problem and make your own decision.  There is no "right answer".  Not the one selected by the manufacturers for the mass market, but the one to suit you, your car and your driving style.

As akuma said, the dashpot slows the piston.   A 'dashpot' is a damper, a shock absorber, that prevents a motion being as quick as it wants to be.   In the carb, it slows the rise of the piston, which keeps the throat narrow for longer.  This narrow throat speeds the air through it, the pressure at the throat falls and so more fuel is sucked up.  Lower pressure, more fuel, the mixture is richened to allow better acceleration.

Don't forget that both SU and Stromberg carbs are 'constant depression' devices - they equilibrate to a constant pressure in the throat, but the dashpot allows for a temporary increase in 'depression' or vacuum.  

Tune the dashot to your style of driving and your wish for economy v. performance, by selecting a thinner oil for less enrichment and more economy, and vice versa.  You will do no harm by experimenting, though you can't expect to make a big difference

JOhn

ah, I feel I may have started something here, something akin to the many "what engine oil" discussions on the bike forums I frequent.

Everyone has an opinion.....

I have built up my own opinions of engine oils over the years, but no experience of SU carbs, I have only ever run webbers or Zenith carbs before the spit (or the ford VV carbs, But I try to blank that from my mind). I would love to find a manifold that allowed for a Zenith carb conversion as I love them........

Ooops.....

Don't think there's much difference between a multi or single grade oil as the carburettors are supposed not to heat up to much.
For the rest I'd say stick to John's advice. It is pretty simple to experiment with the oil and work out what viscosity suits you best.

Exactly,each engine has a different requiremnt. "The book says" 20/50 ,however, for the standard car out of the showroom in its era
Today everyone` tweeks` their car to their own requirement from tootling down the road to track days.
So as stated ,its down to personal preference, I personally dont find any problem with 20/50, even though Ive experimented from gun oil upwards on viscosity  

And it has just occured to me that having re-fitted my carbs today after a rebuild that I have done a 10 mile test drive without having put any oil in the dashpots at all, so it can be done!!!

Right, now I am off out to oil said dashpots before I try and drive them 80 miles back to Glasgow tomorrow.

Cheers,

Phil

Archived