Spongey clutch pedal

willcolumbine

I've got a spongey clutch pedal and no matter how much I bleed it I can't get a nice firm pedal. There dosen't seem to be any leaks and my bleed nipple is in the top hole so I'm out of ideas!

Anyone got any suggestions what could be up or am I destined to have to pump the clutch pedal about 10 times before I can use the clutch!?

Dont forget the rubber flexy pipe is that u/s, swelling up?

You could always back bleed it.

By connecting a pipe to the the bleed nipple on the front brake calliper to the clutch slave cylinder bleed nipple.

Open both bleed nipples and pump the brake peddle, keep an eye on the fluid leave in the brake master. When fuild apears in the clutch master you close the bleed nipples and you have bleed your clutch.

Stupid question maybe, but

You havn't put the slave cylinder in upside down have you???????

Bleed nipple should be at the top and pipe at the bottom. If it's the other way up you'll never get all the air out and you'll end up with the symptoms described.

I've never had any difficulty bleeding the clutch on mine (or on anything else for that matter), so something must be wrong with the installation or the bleed technique. There shouldn't be any need to do any more comlicated bleed technique than ye olde open, down, close, up. Shouldn't take more than 5 repititions either.

572 wrote:
if your bleed nipple is the right way up. try using a piece of wood jammed in place holding the pedal down. with master cylinder cover renoved leave like this over night. air will be forced out the master cylinder

Just to add a little to that, pump the pedal up until you get clutch operation. Then jam/place the piece of wood or whatever you choose to use to hold the pedal in the down position. Leave it overnight and I'll be very suprised if your clutch is not working in the morning.

This method can also work with troublesome brakes too!

If all else fails get yourself a pressure bleeder (eazybleed).

Good job this isn't my first time doing this particular task - I've got it the right way round. I noticed that when I got it the bleed nipple was in the wrong hole - that's a nasty trick for the unwary isn't it!  

I had hoped that the wilwood I fitted last year would be the last time I touched this for a few years at least but it wasn't to be and I've just had to replace the lot. Don't remember it being this hard to bleed last time though!

I'll try the leaving it overnight thing and then if it's still no good I'll give the easybleed a try. Cheers guys!  :)

Archived