2.5 hs6 carb linkage

Davemate

I've got an "s" type inlet manifold and hs6 carbs, a mk2 throttle pedal bulkhead plate and cable.
Can some kind person just post a picture of the carb linkage and cable holder as my carb are from a sprint and I've only got the carbs and a bare manifold
Cheers chaps

The auto gearbox kick down goes on the rear, unused, hole in Alan's pic. Also you can have the choke on either carby, pic shows on the front, mine is on the rear for a standard 2500S with auto box. You may find some difference in the return springs as well.
Nice work Alan, extremely tidy
Rod

[quote=1344]Alec, I've had a look and they don't list the bit I need
I can sort the connecting rods between the carbs
It's this bit I need
(pic deleted)

I don't think much of that linkage. I had to modify it heavily in my car (okay, it's a vitesse, but manifold and carbs are straight from late 2500TC) just to get the throttle action nice (pedal weight, linearity, etc). I think a piece of Meccano or Dexion with a single arm would do as well. Also, it may not be obvious from the pic, but the rest of the linakges on the setup are very good, allowing each carb to have its slow idle set independently (unike the cheapo Stromberg arrangents) and so on.

The complicated linkage is designed to provide slower throttle opening at light throttle (where small changes make a big difference) but swing the butterfly open quickly as the pedal is pressed further down (when small throttle changes make no difference). This is a Good Thing and nearly all modern cars do it one way or another (often by having Very Complicated Mathematics in the ECU to decide upon the throttle target).

The cam-and-roller method on the 2500S isn't the best. It has a very noticeable knee point between the slopes, which feels like the end of pedal travel to a driver more accustomed to a Mk2 Spitfire. However, it does give better throttle control / linearity than "a piece of Meccano or Dexion with a single arm".

9716 wrote:
The complicated linkage is designed to provide slower throttle opening at light throttle (where small changes make a big difference) but swing the butterfly open quickly as the pedal is pressed further down (when small throttle changes make no difference). This is a Good Thing and nearly all modern cars do it one way or another (often by having Very Complicated Mathematics in the ECU to decide upon the throttle target).

The cam-and-roller method on the 2500S isn't the best. It has a very noticeable knee point between the slopes, which feels like the end of pedal travel to a driver more accustomed to a Mk2 Spitfire. However, it does give better throttle control / linearity than "a piece of Meccano or Dexion with a single arm".

It certainly *should* do! But mine feels much better since I took the cam and roller off and reverted to a single arm. I was aware of the reasons for the original arrangement, and my alterations make use of different angles on the arms at each end of the operating rod to give an equivalent variable-ratio effect with less friction.
I did takes some pics to show this, but they don't very well; essentially, the driving arm starts at an acute angle to the rod and the carb arm starts at a right angle, giving about 2:1 reduction, and at full throttle the positions are reversed to give 2:1 gain. The bonus is that the throttle return spring tension is also multipled to give increasing force with throttle, which I like.

I agree that some non-linearity is essential, though. Without it, touching the throttle lightly on a big six is like being hit in the back with a sledgehammer :-)
And if you have big feet like me and accidentally catch the throttle when braking, the throttle tends to win which wakes you up pretty quickly  :'(