Ed2000

Both of my carbs leak.
One dose a tiny weeeeeny bit once in a while, but the carb nearest the bulkhead REALLY leaks atm... like poors, so i've unscrewed the crabs top, and cleaned out the flaoter pin inside it... as i thought that this wasn't closing... it wasnt, and now the leak is less, but still enough fuel is escaping to concern me, im in a spot of bother if i stop at traffic lights over a cigarette butt.... BOOOM

Any suggestions would be nice, one more thing since i messed about cleaning the floater pin the car inconsistently idels at about 1500 - 2000 revs when usually its about 700, any ideas?
ta
Ed

Sounds like the valves in your float chambers are dodgy, i had the same problem last week, bit of dirt got stuck in and it stuck on continually letting fuel into the chamber over filling it and causing it to pee out everywhere!
Same problem yesterday but this time it got stuck off, so no fuel was getting in!

You will need to take the bottom of the carbs off, i think theres about 6 screws, and you will see a brass valve just near to where the petrol enters the carb, if you push the pin up you shouldnt be able to blow down the petrol pipe into the carb as it will be shut off. And vice verse if you pull the pin down - opening the valve! you can unscew the valve and clean it with petrol, and if it does it again invest in new ens - thats my plan!

I

Ed2000 wrote:
im in a spot of bother if i stop at traffic lights over a cigarette butt.... BOOOM

Unless you live in Hollywood you are probably safe - in the real world your petrol is more likely to put the cigarette out than anything else.

Damn it! I had this exact same problem and I finally thought I'd sorted it but just now I took my car around the block to test it after bleeding the clutch and sure enough I was getting slapped in the face with unburnt hydrocarbons again! Before it was the front carb and now it's the rear! This really has turned into one of those days where you just want to sell it and get a mondeo!

Mj17 wrote:

Unless you live in Hollywood you are probably safe - in the real world your petrol is more likely to put the cigarette out than anything else.

Yep - I can confirm that this is exactly what happened when I tried to burn off a small quantity of petrol - I tipped it into the recess in an old house brick, threw a lit match in it and..... the match went out.

In liquid form petrol is actually quite hard to ignite.

BTW - never try to burn off petrol - it gives off TONNES of thick black smoke and doesn't use up the petrol at all !

Ah, just like the year 7 science lessons eh? Setting fire to oil was may favorite, and then squirting water on. Nice.

BTW I think Mr GT6 is reffering to stromberg carbs. The problem is most likely the needle valves. You need to take the floats off and take the needles out. They may be grooved, in which case they need replacing. Or it may be lots of dirt that can be cleaned out. It is well worth having a cheap inline fuel filter to stop these problems.
Other possibolities include a dodgy fuel pump with too much pressure, but unless it is a new repro pump unlikely.
Clive

And if you haven't got a filter between the pump and the carbs seriously consider fitting one and avoiding future problems.

Get a suitably large one from Halfords or your local motor factor and a couple of proper fuel pipe clips and it's a simple fit.

Archived