Clutch Master Cylinder

AlanChatterton

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the 2000 and the Stag clutch master cylinder.?...... and the slave for that matter!

My car was converted to an Auto, so I don't have any clutch hydraulics to compare it to.

Obviously, 2000 body with stag engine and box, and a stag pedal box if that helps!

Do I need a 2000 master or a stag one?

Assuming I need a stag slave, and logically a stag master to fit on the stag pedal box but I'm not sure.

They may even be the same part anyway.

Any ideas?

Go for the Stag parts - the engine and box is Stag after all, and the 2000 has a different Master Cylinder which will alter clutch travel and effort.

Worth carfully inspecting ALL the actuating mechanism - any wear in cross shaft bushes, cross shaft, fork or bearing carrier will result in a poor notchy clutch - you only want to do this job once. (and by wear even slight dents or dings where the fork meeets the bearing carrier will cause issues. Worth a roll pin as well as the standard locating pin in the cross shaft / fork carrier, helps prevent the pin shearing. You can double up the cross shaft bearings too.

The next issue is box to engine alignment, make sure you have the 2 "dowel " bolts in the correct holes to make sure box is co-centric with flywheel

mike

ok, thanks guys.

My gearbox is going to Micky Papworth for a check and overhaul if needed, I'll get him to check out and do the clutch fork/pads/pins etc.

Heard about the 2 special bolts for the gearbox........... might need a bit more info on that when the time comes.

I'll get stag ones then.

MikeyB wrote:
Stag Clutch Master - 11/16"
Stag Clutch Slave - 1"

2.5PI Clutch Master - 5/8"
2.5PI Clutch Slave - not yet measured - but think the same as PI?

Rgds

Mikey

2000 slave 7/8"
2.5PI slave 1"

You can use the Land-Rover Series 3 aluminium 7/8" slave, promoted as an upgrade by some....

AlanChatterton wrote:

Heard about the 2 special bolts for the gearbox........... might need a bit more info on that when the time comes.

I'll get stag ones then.

The dowel bolts?  Just put the bigger bolts in the bigger holes and the smaller ones in the smaller holes.  Simple.

You are aware you can get automatic boxes for these cars which avoids all the stampy pedal hydraulicy type nonsense?

AlanChatterton wrote:
couldn't have said it better myself matey!

Auto's are for old men, and Gentlemen of affluent persuasions. Always wondered why Lord Sorbington doesn't get a manual car and then just get his butler to help with the pedal stampy nonsense?

Some of us have auto`s because of bad legs and don`t have the choice

;D  I always prefer driving autos to manuals.  However, I'm not really convinced by the Audi 'autoboxes' so went for a manual one instead.

Therefore, it's nice to have a proper car with a slush box to drive.  I'm tempted to add a BMW 735i auto to my 'fun' collection too..........

Having looked around over the last few weeks, I'm surprised how many Porsche 911s have an autobox.  Surely an example of a car which is better with a manual?

So Mr C, when can we expect completion of the manualisation of your motor?

when I actually get round to doing anything on it!!

It will be a manual, got converted to an auto when it was sold originally, being as I have to replace everything, its going to be a manual. Got all the bits, just need to fit them! (apart from the clutch hydraulics... got some, but think they are buggered!

Archived