Paper license

Hi All.

As I'm lucky enough not to have moved house in the last 30yrs I still have a paper driving license. 

Somebody mentioned that they are no longer acceptable in Europe any more ? Can anyone shed some light as to weather that is correct ?

Cheers Mark. 

18 minutes ago, MarkEFI said:

Hi All.

As I'm lucky enough not to have moved house in the last 30yrs I still have a paper driving license. 

Somebody mentioned that they are no longer acceptable in Europe any more ? Can anyone shed some light as to weather that is correct ?

Cheers Mark. 

The last time I checked this, you'll need an International Driving Permit, but depends on which paper licence you have. 

Have you checked the DVLA website?

40 minutes ago, Rosbif said:

I'm not totally sure, as it doesn't affect me as I live in France, but I believe you do now need an international drivers permit and green card for the insurance, thanks to Br....

Give it a rest. I am surprised that someone hasn't tried to blame Russia invading Ukraine on Brexit!

2 hours ago, Rubce said:

Give it a rest. I am surprised that someone hasn't tried to blame Russia invading Ukraine on Brexit!

Like it or not Brexit is the reason for changes such as this. Just as if I want to visit Britain I now need a passport as the UK no longer accepts I'd cards.

Look at the Rimmer's web site about their postal and customs terms for the EU. Massively more expensive than before Brexit.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2022 at 17:14, Rosbif said:

I'm not totally sure, as it doesn't affect me as I live in France, but I believe you do now need an international drivers permit and green card for the insurance, thanks to Br....

Green card not required according to my insurers

Edited by Velocita Rosso

It is very clear or rather cloudy, even on the UK gouv site:

Driving licences and international driving permits

You need to carry your UK driving licence with you.

You do not need an international driving permit (IDP) to visit and drive in the EU, Switzerland, Iceland or Liechtenstein.

You might need an IDP to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have:

• a paper driving licence
  • a licence that was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man

Check if you need an IDP.

Personally I would just carry whatever licence and insurance papers I had. Just don't do anything that would attract the attention of the gendarmes, having said that I have had a thumbs up a couple of times from motocycle groups, they clearly appreciate a classic car.

• Like 1