alternator and 'leccy fan sensor Q's

Fizzy

got a bit of spare money, so i guess i need to buy something for my car. its still got a dynamo, so id like to fit an alternator. is this is simple drop in job, or is it a bit more difficult? do i need anything other than the alternator? a bracket maybe ? looking for something that will do a decent job, but not break the bank. money saved on this is money to spend somewhere else.

also got a selection of electric fans i can make use of. so im hoping i can just get the rest of what i need cheapishly. i know i need a temp sensor, but what else is required ? can you get the sensors on their own ? again, just looking for something that does the job, doesnt need to be super fancy.

cheers

edit - having just looked at a 'kit' on rimmers, looks like a lot of little bits and bobs are needed. the alternator kit on rimmers seems quite good value, or am i wrong ? seen a 'lightweight sports hi output' alternator on canleys, but seems a bit much for what i want. found a 'lucas 55amp' alternator on canleys for 42 quid, what else would i need with that ? noticed they do a 'fitting kit', would buying these 2 items give me all i need ?

Alternator conversion needs:
Alternator (the lucas type ones are usually about £25 these days, and have ample (ha ha pun not inteded) output unless you run megawatt hifi, leccy heaters etc etc etc.
Cast alternator bracket with spacer and long bolt, possibly different bolts for fitting to the block (longer than dynamo bracket I think)
Some gizmo to rewire the control box. I use a bit of flattened copper pipe, and cut spades in it. Basically the earth wire is redundant, so tuck away. The field (F)wire from the dynamo now connects to the warning light wire (WL). All the other terminals need to be joined together, this is where the copper comes in handy as it makes it all easily reversible. I pop rivit the copper to some 2,, plastic sheet and mount via little rubber buses to the bulkhead.  It works a treat.....

Fan sensor. If there is space under the bonnet the fiesta thermostat housing (straight swap ;) ) has a built in sender, but sticks up from the housing so clearance may be an issue. Otherwise the kenlow type switches are available, or even revotec? which cut into the hose, and fit a hose joiner with a sender in it.

Now, once daughters performance thingy is over later, and I have some time (tomorrow??) I will dig out some of my spares and take some pics!

GTsixCA wrote:
HAte to answer a question with a question but is the car overheating or is the Dynamo giving you trouble????

If not i'd be inclined to save the $$$ for another time when you really really have to get something that is broken

the dynamo isnt playing up, and as for overheating im not sure. think my guage is a bit duff as measuring the temp straight out of the hose with a sensor gave a nice cool reading, but my guage reads 3/4 all the time. so pretty sure its not overheating. i have read that fitting an electric fan is a strain an alternator would help with. i have a good battery and no extra lights, just a cheap cd player and a couple of speakers. seems that fitting an alternator is a very common practice, so figured it must be a good idea.

i'll be using some other cash to refurb my gearbox as 2nd synchro is munching itself steadily, but thats for another thread.

cheers clive.

I am running an electric fan with a dynamo. All works fine - the fan only cuts in when standing in traffic as the rest of the time there is sufficient airflow. Dynamo is fine - remember when these cars were new, dynamo was all you got, and unless you use the car a lot in the winter months with heated rear windows and loads of extras I can't see you having a problem unless the dynamo is on its last legs.
Electric fans are good, but not essential.

My attitude is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - save the money because sooner or later something will break  :-/

thanks for your info. i also heard having an electric fan was a bonus not so much for cooling but for the fact you dont have an engine driven fan. how much and what difference to the engine does having an electric fan have ?

I've converted all mine to alternator, I found that even the halogen lights can make the red ignition light come on so just changed over as a habit. For the GT6 I bought one of the 55amp alternators from eBay, around £49 all in and it runs CD player, halogens and demister fan with no hassle. Dynamos are adequate, but personally I like to upgrade.
Brackets and assorted bits like the spacer come up on eBay all the time, so keep an eye out for a bargain.
I don't run an electric fan, I just had the radiator uprated by a local company to a more efficient core. Removing the engine fan will release slightly more engine power, probably a negligible amount, but not enough to make me want to fit an electric version..... yet....

leccy fan = good!
When you are moving the airflow through the rad is sufficient to keep the engine cool. This is the time when you engine is working hard (3hp??) making the fan move, and it isn't needed.
When you stop, heat builds up, and the fan needs to be active, just when the mechanical one is just stirring the air. OK, engine fans usually do the job, but leccy ones much better idea.

Fizzy, see if you can maesure the clearance between themostat housing and bonnet....blutac tower??

right, i think i'll leave the alternator then, my ancient dynamo seems to be up to the job, and if it can put up with an electric fan aswell, i'll just leave it. i am going to fit the fan though.

various places seem to sell a temp sensor/switch for about 40 quid. is this about right ? hoping it would hook straight into whatever fan i get hold of to fit.

clive, how simple is the fiesta thermostat to fit, assuming it has no clearance issues. will i have to change anything else other than putting it in ? does it matter which fiesta it comes out of ? obviously a chance to go down a scrappy and get one out for next to nothing if possible. some more details would be great thanks.

also thinking about swapping my diy exhaust for soemthign a bit more 'made for purpose'. something single pipe, stainless, quieter than what ive got, and not excrutiatingly expensive. would be nice to find one that had a central exit at the back aswell, after teh big discussion we had about single pipe systems that exit slighty 'on the wonk'

The fiesta thermostat housing is a straight swap. see pic for the space required, but if tight the terminals could be bent flat to save "about" 8mm.
Probably the neatest solution at sensible money, but the kenlow type ones do work and are adjustable.....but the fiesta one is set for a car, sensor in that position so should be right enough.
Was going to use one or tother in the tolly, but now going the golf rad route with fan/sensor already attached ;)

If you don't have the bonnet space for a Fiesta thermostat housing and don't like/trust the shove-it-in-the-top-hose 'bulb' senders - https://www.europaspares.com/FANS/FANS/REVOTEC_VARIABLE_ELECTRIC_FAN_CONTROLLER_4821.html

Archived