Porthmadog Texaco garage

Dannyb

Did anyone have problems after filling up at Porthmadog Texaco garage on the C2C? 

We filled up just before the start with Vmax and only managed 8 miles before we had to retire. Running like a dog with loads of white smoke. Thinking the head gasket had blown we pulled out. 

This morning I did a compression test... All good. 

I cleaned out the carbs and and fuel lines from the engine bay electric fuel pump and run a pipe to a Jerry can with known good petrol. It ran OK no smoke. 

Next will be to drain the full tank and clean it. 

As a side note RH insurance breakdown.. Got us a cab all the way home to Essex and the car turned up in the afternoon. 

Danny

17 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Diesel does that……

If it says v-max on your receipt but you have diesel present - go after them!

Just looked at the receipt and there is nothing to say what it is. Just £26. 

Diesel makes sense. I know I used the petrol pump because both the Vmax petrol and diesel were next to each other. I remember thinking it would be easy the mix them up. 

Looks like I've got to now get rid of 8 gallons. 

Danny no

26 minutes ago, Dannyb said:

Did anyone have problems after filling up at Porthmadog Texaco garage on the C2C? 

That's interesting, Danny

I know Porthmadog reasonably well but I'm not sure where the Texaco garage is located.  Neither petrolprices.com nor the Texaco website lists one!

The only possible garage I can think of is on Penamser Road near the Travelodge but that is currently shown as Essar brand.

32 minutes ago, Pete Arnold said:

That's interesting, Danny

I know Porthmadog reasonably well but I'm not sure where the Texaco garage is located.  Neither petrolprices.com nor the Texaco website lists one!

The only possible garage I can think of is on Penamser Road near the Travelodge but that is currently shown as Essar brand.

Sorry my mistake its the Shell garage. 

Danny

1 hour ago, Dannyb said:

Looks like I've got to now get rid of 8 gallons. 

Your old side-valve mower will run reasonably well on a blend (and presumably with just £26 spent in these testing times, it’s a fairly petrol-heavy blend). Might need a whiff of carb-cleaner to get away from cold and might small bit funny, but it will work.

Nick

Interesting, on the Summer Trial this weekend two cars made a similar mistake of filling up with BP ultimate diesel when they thought they were using BP Ultimate petrol. The filling station was only a couple of miles from the hotel. It was after 11:00pm before they got it out of the tanks, it took an age to get it out of the Volvo because it had a foam filled safety tank.

Porthmadog Shell garage does not sell E5 V Power Petrol. They do however, sell V Power Diesel. I nearly made the same mistake on Friday evening when we called in there. I had the pump in my hand before it registered in my brain that the pump cover was black and yellow rather than the correct red and yellow.

Regards

Bruce

At work i have had many trucks filled wrong fuel petrol . after draining fuel replace fuel with diesel  keep fuel in can over a week the fuel will separate different weight . i can not remember if petrol is at top or bottom .  

i have soon a cly head been blown up running someone had but petrol in  on a diesel ford sierra 2.3 had a dent in bonnet cly head had a gap below block  head been hold by injector pipes and exhaust    

4 hours ago, Tim Hunt said:

Bad luck Danny but good to know RH Insurance can offer such stunning service when the chips are down!

Tim

Yes Tim.  I can't fault them, for the service they provide, that's why I've been insured with them for the last 18 years. 

Danny

5 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Got to Be worth seeing if it does separate out.

My local garage who service my modern took it for me. I had a couple of old 20 ltr red diesel containers. I didn't want to mess with all that petrol 8.5 gals I was lust glad to get shot of it. 

I did womder what the company's do with fuel they pump out of cars every day. It must be used somehow. 

Danny

I filled my Dolomite with VMax Diesel once, it's easy to confuse with the V-Max Petrol on the pump. I only live 1/2 mile away from the petrol station and the car started to misfire just before driving onto my driveway and then it conked out when I stopped. When I got out of the car I could smell diesel, then I looked at my receipt and sure enough I'd bought V Max diesel rather than petrol. I drained it all out and replaced with petrol but even so I had to change the plugs 3 times over the next couple of weeks before it would run well. 

Edited by cook1e