Rebuilding water pump

PeteStupps

Hi all, 

During recent trackday thrills with the 'MG on Track' folk, my Spitfire waterpump started spraying coolant through the tell-tale aperture. My experience with new pumps is that they don't live very long so I thought I'd try servicing my old one.

Has anyone done this recently, is it worth the effort?!

The pump in question is one of the old type with a grease nipple, and nut holding the pulley on. I've read the WSM section and it seems clear enough, although I don't have a tool to re-cut the sealing face on the pump body. 

The first snag i've come up against is I can't get the woodruff key out of the shaft - any tips or tricks? (I've got new woodruff keys so this one can be destroyed, just don't want to damage the shaft).

Thanks,

Pete

DSC_0081.JPG

DSC_0084.JPG

Thanks Glang, I might look into that.

Managed to get the woodruff key out, and then drove shaft out with the impeller still attached. The manual says you need to remove the impeller and drift shaft out of the front of the pump body with bearings, spacers, etc all at the same time. But getting the impeller off looks tricky without destroying it.

DSC_0114.thumb.JPG.7218d447a197b3fdb30ea797d3584ac9.JPG

The seal on this looks pretty good - this isn't the pump that was leaking but an old one I picked up a while ago.  

Now I can see how they leak; the seal is stuck onto the impeller and spins against a smooth face on the pump body. I thought it was the other way around for some reason.

DSC_0117.thumb.JPG.f2933283cd8e6c2439e06e689891d67c.JPG

Anyway I cleaned the mating face up on the pump body with 1200 paper and autosol. Problem is the bearings were all in situ so can't guarantee no grit got past the rag I stuffed in the way. 

Tried pumping grease down the nipple but none seemed to make it to the bearings, it all just came out of a bleed hole.

So I'm dubious that this will survive very long but with give it a go. If I can get it all back together!

The issue I found with the early, rebuildable pumps is that one of the faces is on the housing material itself. The finish is absolutely critical for leak free operation and decent service life. Just putting fresh seal in (1/2seal really) often isn’t enough.

Ironically, the non- rebuildable pumps (which need a decent press and related tooling to get apart) have a proper two part seal with both faces replaceable.

I think the company mentioned above modifies the early pumps to take those seals or something very like them.

Thanks @Tim Bancroft 🙂 

On 11/07/2022 at 22:23, Nick Jones said:

Ironically, the non- rebuildable pumps (which need a decent press and related tooling to get apart) have a proper two part seal with both faces replaceable.

Thanks Nick, that's useful info. The pump that gave up recently was a non-rebuildable type, but Stanpart I think. Am contemplating whether to send it away - think I'm too much of a cheapskate. 

And yeah you're right, the mating face on the pump body is the important bit. I've got the pump back together, after giving that face a good clean & polish. But the impeller shaft seems to have a too much freedom to move fore and aft, so not sure how to proceed. There's a circlip which may not be seated correctly, is all I can think. Anyway I've been struck down with the latest covid variant so have some time to mull the options.

Suppose it depends if youre going to keep the car as to whether the lifetime guarantee is worth having. Apparently they rebuild the pump with ceramic bearings but not sure what type of seal. Think the price was around 60 pounds last time I read about it....

When I rebuilt my Dolomite pump, I got a kit from LD spares. It then included a ceramic "polo" that you could use if you wished, to provide a long-lasting surface for the seal to run on. The instructions suggested using a lathe to machine a few mm off, then glue the polo in place. 

Seems to have worked brilliantly. And I think the seal is the same as used on the OHV cars. Something in my brain says the kit was from a Perkins engine originally, and was only a few quid.

Thats sounds just like what EP-Services and maybe others offer, ceramic bearings so no corrosion problems and ceramic seal surface to keep it watertight. Then they know classics generally do few miles so can offer their guarantee....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/07/2022 at 07:42, Clive said:

When I rebuilt my Dolomite pump, I got a kit from LD spares.

Thanks for this Clive, I think I found it: http://ldpart.co.uk/shop/shop.php?c=viewproduct&pid=1279&cat=4&sid=sid1ba54d9706e090beb58797916affac4f

I presume that would be for the later pressed-type pumps? Or whatever the Stag & slant engines used...  Doesn't look like it would fit my early pump anyway, and neither will the seal that just arrived from Canley Classics!

So I phoned up EP Services in Wolverhampton (01902 452914), thank you very much @glang for the name. Helpful bloke explained that they use a carbon and ceramic seal, plus bearings, and the pump is indeed guaranteed for life.

And it only costs £45! (maybe plus VAT, forgot to ask). But anyway that's cheaper than I was expecting so I'm sending them two pumps and hopefully never have to worry about these things again. 

• 1 year later...

Not taken mine in yet, but I know this company as I used to take water pumps to be reconditioned back in the 80’s when I was a van driver for a car components outlet, they’re very good and they have been in business for ever and they guarantee the repair for life I believe 👍

Edited by Wendy Dawes

On 08/08/2023 at 07:39, Jason said:

What was the outcome of getting these pumps rebuilt? I'm all for a better, more durable water pump, the number of failures of late seems very high.

Jase,

The odd NOS water pump do pop up on eBay.

I have one fitted, been on since 2009, when the car was first returned to the road. Still nice and quiet and no leaks. 

• Like 1