Spitfire Carb problem

RonN

I am new to Triumph ownership having recently purchased a 1979  Spitfire 1500. I have not used it yet as I have a carburation problem in as much as the front SU HS4 carb seeps petrol into the jet which then runs out the air filter when the engine is not running. I have changed the float, needle valve and jet and set the float height. The  breather  pipes are clear and the carb is clean. Is there anybody on the forum who has experienced this problem or may have an answer please.

1 hour ago, RonN said:

I am new to Triumph ownership having recently purchased a 1979  Spitfire 1500. I have not used it yet as I have a carburation problem in as much as the front SU HS4 carb seeps petrol into the jet which then runs out the air filter when the engine is not running. I have changed the float, needle valve and jet and set the float height. The  breather  pipes are clear and the carb is clean. Is there anybody on the forum who has experienced this problem or may have an answer please.

electric or mechanical fuel pump?

• Clive changed the title to Spitfire Carb problem
On 26/07/2022 at 18:23, RobPearce said:

Common causes are excessive fuel pressure (due to poor quality new pumps), dodgy needle valves, bits of rubber in the fuel line blocking said valves open, or the float jamming down.

Ok thanks, I have had rubber in valve, a dodgy valve and have changed float. Next thing to try would be  pump although I think its the original mechanical one.

If youre sure the float/needle valve is all good the next thing would be to measure the pump pressure. It should be 2.5 to 3.5 psi and if too high can be reduced by putting extra gaskets between the pump and block to move its operating arm away from the cam.

Of course you could try this directly without checking the pressure to see if it cures the problem but be aware that when going up a hill at high speed you might find the pump now cant keep up with demand and the engine loses power...

• 3 weeks later...

I have inline filter at the fuel outlet feed pipe at the top of the tank and also in front of the carb on my Herald, Good  job as the one at the tank did foul up and block the fuel, simple fix just to change the filter and prime the pump then off you go 

Edited by Wendy Dawes