Davemate

Today I got a pi dizzy (numbers agree) from a local chap,there's no play in the shaft but there's also no vacume advance, as I've got a couple of other crappy dizzys can I fit one of their vacuum things to it or is it not needed.
I've looked on eBay and there's a dizzy and metering unit for sale and the dizzy hasn't got a vacume advance thing on it.

Hello Dave,

I've forgotten exactly what engine you have and whether it's been modified? The simple answer is yes you can fit the vacuum module from a different distributor. Also the PI distributors usually have less total mechanical advance so you may want to swap the rotor shaft also. (Just look inside and the advance is stamped  there, I would expect something like 11 for teh PI distributor (22 degrees engine advance)

Alec

Hello Dave,

it seems I've got the figures back to front, the PI has greater advance than the carburettor engines.
For what its worth, my engine, which I ran for a short time on HS4 carburettors did not run quite as it should but I didn't really do a lot of tinkering as it was just a stop gap until I sorted the injection system.

Alec