Fitting overdrive gearbox

Wendy Dawes

Hi All , I’m planning to fit a J type overdrive gearbox from spitfire Mk1V to my 12/50 Herald, in the near future.  it currently has the standard 3 rail 3 synchro box  and the original 1147 engine.  The D type gearboxes are so difficult to find now but I believe it’s possible to fit a J type as I know a couple of people who have them in their Herald,  although they are the 13/60  model. I have upgraded the clutch to the 13/60 diaphragm  type and it has the 13/60  flywheel. 

what alterations and fabrications will this entail  as it’s a new venture and something I have never had the opportunity to watch being done.

thank you 😊

3 minutes ago, Wendy Dawes said:

I believe that I may have to change the propshaft or the flange and UJ on my own and a thinner mounting plate

You will need to change the propshaft for any change to overdrive as the OD unit adds about two inches to the length of the gearbox. The J-type vs. D-type difference is much less - perhaps half an inch. However, a J-type will almost certainly have the large flange that takes 3/8" bolts, whereas a D-type may have the smaller 5/16" bolt type like your existing propshaft.

• Thanks 1

It should, I think, bolt on.   But you will need a shorter propshaft.

Do you have  electrics, esp. the steering column  switch?   Or one of those fancy gear knob switches?   I couldn't be bothered with those when I put an O/d on my Vitesse.  Instead I put a 'push-on, push-off' switch on the steering wheel, on a length of 'curlywhirly' cable  that doesn't tangle, with an LED to remind me tha the O/d is switched on.

overdrive switch on steering wheel.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glang said:

Yes it looks like the Spitfire 3 rail J type gearbox will go straight in as its splines, length, gearlever position will all be the same. My only doubt would be with the new gearbox coupling matching the existing propshaft one...

Ha, sorry yes I meant your new box will be the same length as a D type OD box but of course youre starting with a non OD so according to the Canley Classics page you will need a prop 3.5" shorter...

12 hours ago, RobPearce said:

You will need to change the propshaft for any change to overdrive as the OD unit adds about two inches to the length of the gearbox. The J-type vs. D-type difference is much less - perhaps half an inch. However, a J-type will almost certainly have the large flange that takes 3/8" bolts, whereas a D-type may have the smaller 5/16" bolt type like your existing propshaft.

Thank you Rob 👍

all a new minefield for me 

So nice to have expert advice from everyone on the forum x

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

It should, I think, bolt on.   But you will need a shorter propshaft.

Do you have  electrics, esp. the steering column  switch?   Or one of those fancy gear knob switches?   I couldn't be bothered with those when I put an O/d on my Vitesse.  Instead I put a 'push-on, push-off' switch on the steering wheel, on a length of 'curlywhirly' cable  that doesn't tangle, with an LED to remind me tha the O/d is switched on.

overdrive switch on steering wheel.jpg

Thank you John,  all advice points to definitely a shorter prop shaft,  I’ll have to start looking 😊

13 minutes ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Thank you John,  all advice points to definitely a shorter prop shaft,  I’ll have to start looking 😊

If a D type, a vitesse non OD is the (about) correct length. But one end will have he wrong flange fitted. Which means swapping, which means it will very likely go out of balance. Just changing a UJ will cause an issue. 

Best bet is to measure the required length once fitted. Then I would be inclined to get a very good prop shortened (with sliding joint) OR get a new one made. 

Canley classics have the prop lengths listed for just about all combinations.

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?archive=propshaft-problems

3 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Hi Clive 

Thanks for the info. x  I'm thinking J type as D type are very expensive and hard to find 

I will contact Canley classics 

many thanks for the link to their website x 

Wendy, do you mean the single rail j type from a 1500? The 3 rail j types are very rare, I have a bare od box but no adapter plate, od or gear remote.

I also know somebody who can build what you want. He has some reconditioned d type overdrive units. 

1 hour ago, RobPearce said:

They were if you are discussing original factory equipment, but all three of mine have 3-rail with J-type as they were a popular conversion in the '90s.

I think most useful is whats available now and I would say at a very rough guess for units Ive seen advertised over the last few years its one J type 3 rail for every twenty or more D types or single rails...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mpbarrett said:

I have a 3 rail J type OD in my 13/60 Herald (now 1500 engine). I originally used  non OD Vitesse prop shaft but had balance problems so brought a new prop shaft from CC.

mike

I take it you just got the standard 3 rail OD propshaft from CC as they dont seem to differentiate between D or J types?