GT6Craig

Thinking of purchasing a lucas dizzy for the mark one. Not convinced my vacuum advance is working that well on mine as it doesnt really shift when i put my foot down. Plus id like the oppurtunity to strip one down and fit the cheap electronic ignition which it seems is only cheap for the lucas dizzy.

What are my options for a second hand one? What about interchangeability? Are the four cylinder ones completely different or do they just use a different cap?

Cheers!

Yeah, you need a six cyl one, prob Vitesse easiest to source!

Im sure someone will post some part No's for you!  ;)

Have you tried pointing a timing light at the marks on crank pulley, with/without vac advance connected?  then revving it, see if the timing moves more or not?  ;)

Roy 8)

(you'd prob find a dizzy at stoneleigh this sunday! :P ;) !)

184 wrote:
Thinking of purchasing a lucas dizzy for the mark one. Not convinced my vacuum advance is working that well on mine as it doesnt really shift when i put my foot down. Plus id like the oppurtunity to strip one down and fit the cheap electronic ignition which it seems is only cheap for the lucas dizzy.

What are my options for a second hand one? What about interchangeability? Are the four cylinder ones completely different or do they just use a different cap?

Cheers!

You ought to be able to get a Mk2 Vitesse one more easily than a Mk1. the curves aren't quite right, but it isn't too bad.

If not, You can get a pertronix for £67 for a GT6 if not.

Cheers

Colin

Quote:
If not, You can get a pertronix for £67 for a GT6 if not.

Well im thinking i could get a lucas cheap-ish second hand circa £30 then use the simonbbc kit for £17. I know im being a cheap skate but ive heard good things about his kits. And it still works out cheaper than Pertronix

Be warned, lots are advertised as suitable for vit/gt6, but don't have the tacho. These are usually cheap, £10 or so. The proper vitsees ones fetch a fair bit more, min £30 (and thats it you are lucky). I recently sold a reconned one with aldon leccy ignition, may have been ideal :-/
Anyway, stoneleigh a very good place to look, the lucas have aluminium body (delco pressed steel) and make sure it has 6 lobes on the shaft, very little play etc. Check vac advance by sucking and watching the points plate move. Vac advance won't make much (any?) difference to the way the car accelerates, but makes the car more economical/smoother at a steady speed.
Clive

Thanks Clive! Appreciate that bit of advice!
Stoneleigh sounds great but ive mentioned it to Roy already - its just too far away and i cant loose a day of uni work for it :-(
Ill keep my eyes peeled on eBay, but i certainly will be using electric ignition on it so its a shame i missed the one you had

You are welcome! Of course, you could fit a dizzy without the tacho drive, and get an electronic rev-counter. Not ideal really as the leccy ones have the later style faces....
The dizzys can all be played with, but dont be too rapid to blame them either. Set up well on points should be as good as electronic ignition. Worth checking it is all as it should be.
Clive

Hello GT6,

save the money you intend? spending on the electronic ignition and just be sure that if you do get a replacement it is in good condition, but far more importantly the correct one for your engine. I don't know about GT6's but for the big saloon there are so many variations of type specifications for externally similar looking units. The correct curve\advance unit is important.

Just to echo Clive's remark, the vacuum advance is for economy, you could throw it away and it won't make any difference when you floor the throttle.

Alec

cheers guys, i think my eagerness to change the dizzy was extinguished yesterday. I adjusted the timing for the millionth time and it seemed to fix it.
The truth of the matter is my ignition system is fine its my timing skills which are no good! Im going to get onto a pro really soon and get some expert tuition. But meanwhile ill keep my eyes peeled for a proper GT6 lucas dizzy just incase!

Archived