Spitfire Engine and gearbox out. Now what?

Banksy82

1 hour ago, Banksy82 said:

I decided the seal was bad as it is very hard indeed - I would expect some flex in the lip but there really isn't any - Is this normal?

I dont think anyone is going to argue with you about changing seals as a matter of course if youve got everything opened up. As far as I know theres no problem with replacement seal quality...

Also check where the seal runs as a slight channel can develop so even a brand new seal will struggle to be oil tight. If there is one you might be able to relocate the seal slightly to allow it to run on virgin metal.

• Like 1

My WS manual doesnt mention anything about assessing the sprocket teeth only the stretch on the chain so if its within tolerance I wouldnt do anything more. In fact I think its almost impossible to have a good chain with excessively worn sprockets unless the former has just been replaced and still wearing (rapidly) to match the teeth. Maybe wear will make the set up run a bit noisier (however we're not talking Rolls Royce here) so if the chain/tensioner is good I cant see theres any risk the chain will jump teeth...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, glang said:

if the chain/tensioner is good I cant see theres any risk the chain will jump teeth...

When I bought my GT6, the timing chain had partially disintegrated. Most of the hardened shells around the link pins - the things that actually run against those gears - had broken, split in half and fallen off. Some of the fragments had been sucked through the oil pump (or got embedded in it). Some had made it to the crank bearings. The engine was still running and the chain had not jumped any teeth. So I suspect you're right.

1 hour ago, glang said:

I suppose it was difficult to tell Rob if the chain was still in spec?

I suspect it was outside the free play tolerance because the reduced size of the pins meant it was running on a smaller radius at both ends. It was a long time ago and I don't think I even bothered to measure it.

1 hour ago, glang said:

damned if you do, damned if you dont😂

Looking at the pictures of new items my gears don't look as bad as I thought - I'm used to involute gear profiles not chain drives and they looked very pointy. 

Given they will have worn into the chain and the chain looks to be in good condition and in spec. I am going to leave it all as it was including the original tensioner.

For the sake of 4 quid I will probably acquire a new seal but for now I'm calling the timing setup 'good'!

Crank and camshaft to check next!

Evening all.

Does anyone have any idea on the below.

This is the crank pin for cylinder 3 and there is an odd wear pattern running around the surface. it resembles a regular 'zebra stripe' running left to right in the image - it isn't quite as noticeable with the naked eye but shows up clearly in the photograph.

It almost looks like brinelling from roller bearings but I have never seen anything like this on a plain bearing. 

The crank has had a 10 thou regrind at some point in its life - there are .010 under bearings installed and the pins mic up at 1.8657 which i believe to be 2 tenths oversize for 10 thou under.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Karl

IMG_8905.JPG

The "best" answer is a complete regrind. However...

I would get some wet/dry paper, 600 grit? and use some WD40. Cut some strips the width of the bearing, and have a go at lightly polishing (wrap paper around the bearing, and the back/forward technique) See if the marks disappear. And a pic of the bearing surface would be good.

Don't rely on the book figures. Soem bearings (king I think) are a bit loose so that could be the reason for the journal being a tad bigger than expected. 

20 minutes ago, Clive said:

I would get some wet/dry paper, 600 grit?

Thanks, I'll try with the finest I have first 1200 maybe as I don't think the marks are anything more than on the surface - interested to know what might have caused it to try and prevent the same thing happening elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, Clive said:

And a pic of the bearing surface would be good.

Picture of bearing cap shell below - these show the expected wear pattern - I plan on replacing these and the main bearings with new .010 under to get a little more life out of the engine.

Do you have any idea what the working clearance should be between bearing and journal? I can't seem to find it in the book.

Thanks Again

IMG_8906.JPG

My Vitesse manual which has the same bearings dimensions says big end clearance should be between 1 and 2.7 thou.

No idea what would produce those journal markings except perhaps a poor regrind but the bearing shell looks like its got plenty of life left in it, in fact I wonder if it hasnt done many miles since the regrind...

4 minutes ago, glang said:

My Vitesse manual which has the same bearings dimensions says big end clearance should be between 1 and 2.7 thou.

No idea what would produce those journal markings except perhaps a poor regrind but the bearing shell looks like its got plenty of life left in it, in fact I wonder if it hasnt done many miles since the regrind...

Fantastic, thank you.

It's all a little odd really. I had .040 end float on the crank and an annoying / worrying loud tapping / rattling audible at speed. With the end float being so large I expected to find similar wear throughout and a smoking gun on the noise. I can't believe a previous owner went to the trouble of a regrind and then reassembled with such a huge endfloat.. Some of the other shells show deeper scoring but the journals are all okay so I think it is worth replacing the bearings anyway?

There is some pitting on some of the cam lobes and I imagine the same of the followers.. I wonder if this could be the source of my noise... I will continue to investigate

What were the findings with the thrusts then? They were of as supplied thickness but the PO hadnt chosen the right size to give the correct endfloat (taking into account a possible 10thou regrind)? Or the thrusts were probably the correct thickness to start with but had worn to give the 40thou play?

11 hours ago, Banksy82 said:

Thanks, I'll try with the finest I have first 1200 maybe as I don't think the marks are anything more than on the surface - interested to know what might have caused it to try and prevent the same thing happening elsewhere.

I would be tempted to go finer if the marks are just surface 'stains' by using paint polishing compound.

If you've had the camshaft out make sure you get the off-set on the distributor drive dog in the correct position.

Edited by standardthread

Reading online those journal chatter marks are probably due to poor grinding as, if the grind wheel isnt properly set up or loose, vibration affects its contact with the journal. Is it the same on all? If not another possibility is a distorted conrod...

The excessive crank endfloat could produce a rattling sound although it would most likely be at idle. 

2 hours ago, glang said:

What were the findings with the thrusts then?

Actual end float is .037, front thrust is approx .094 and rear thrust .088. I believe that standard is around the .092 mark so they may be poorly measured standards or possibly very worn oversize. 

They have 0025 stamped on the back... which if a dimension I would read as .0025 but I didn't think they are available in this size...

I will get a set of +10 and +15 and see what I can do..

3 minutes ago, glang said:

Reading online those journal chatter marks are probably due to poor grinding as, if the grind wheel isnt properly set up or loose, vibration affects its contact with the journal. Is it the same on all? If not another possibility is a distorted conrod...

The excessive crank endfloat could produce a rattling sound although it would most likely be at idle. 

Very faint on 1, as you see on 3. Not visible (in my workshop lighting) on 2 or 4.

The noise I was sure was valve train - definitely where the sound was at idle. Having had a look around the clutch release bearing carrier was not attached to the bell housing at all - no pin, no bolt, nothing. I am now wondering if my noise at idle is usual valve train noise and it was the clutch bearing carrier vibrating at speed.... 

Does anybody have a definitive value on the correct end float tolerance?

Workshop Manual states 0.006 to 0.014 in the 'check and adjust section' (12.21.26)

but then in the data on the very next page state 0.004 to 0.008 (12.21.33 - Sheet2)

Obviously 0.006 to 0.008 fits in both of these but I just find it odd - am I misreading something?