Sarah’s Herald Estate .

Darren Sharp

Sarah Johnson’s old Herald Estate has been off the road for decades and tucked in a corner of the garage at home . It’s seriously rotten . Son Luke has decided it will be back on the road in time for the RBRR 2023 . Luke and Andy are busy ripping into the floor pans and boot floor with replacement panels and Wendy and I spent Saturday removing all the remaining running gear from the chassis . I managed to drop a lump of front suspension on the toes of my left foot which was rather painful but eventually we had all the front and rear stripped down . Chassis is extremely good and will be going for powder coating . Amongst Andy’s spares hoard is a complete front suspension that’s already powder coated and ready to go . Will be a great car again but in time for the RBRR? Remains to be seen . 

F7EFCE4C-0254-48C9-AAFA-8A28A85D8839.jpeg

82192739-83C6-4B3A-ACA8-0264A09E616E.jpeg

A8DCA64E-48F0-412C-A389-DBF4CB64744C.jpeg

FC062283-909C-4BDC-B74D-67FF3D2EA538.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Darren Sharp said:

Sarah Johnson’s old Herald Estate has been off the road for decades and tucked in a corner of the garage at home . It’s seriously rotten . Son Luke has decided it will be back on the road in time for the RBRR 2023 . Luke and Andy are busy ripping into the floor pans and boot floor with replacement panels and Wendy and I spent Saturday removing all the remaining running gear from the chassis . I managed to drop a lump of front suspension on the toes of my left foot which was rather painful but eventually we had all the front and rear stripped down . Chassis is extremely good and will be going for powder coating . Amongst Andy’s spares hoard is a complete front suspension that’s already powder coated and ready to go . Will be a great car again but in time for the RBRR? Remains to be seen . 

F7EFCE4C-0254-48C9-AAFA-8A28A85D8839.jpeg

82192739-83C6-4B3A-ACA8-0264A09E616E.jpeg

A8DCA64E-48F0-412C-A389-DBF4CB64744C.jpeg

FC062283-909C-4BDC-B74D-67FF3D2EA538.jpeg

Ouch gammy toes 😝😘

2 hours ago, Hogie said:

That toe nail may be a gonner in a few days

Roger

It also won't grow back the same 😐 - voice of experience speaking. 

You've certainly got your work cut out getting that Herald ready for the RBRR. It gives me hope for getting my Spitfire ready...

20 hours ago, Darren Sharp said:

. Amongst Andy’s spares hoard is a complete front suspension that’s already powder coated and ready to go .

Have you got someone lined up to re-establish and set the amber and castor angles up?

Years ago I built a Spartan based on a 1600 Vitesse, in doing so I removed the suspension towers and then re-fitted them. When the car was finished tyre wear was rapid, I put it down to tracking, so had it done. Very shortly afterwards I had to do a long motorway trip for work. On my return there was heavy rain and the car was VERY lively, to the point where I nearly spun off the road and nearly wrote the car off. When I got home the brand new tyres were at scrap leaves of wear.

I made a temporary optical set-up to check the camber and caster, they were way out, I had wrongly shimmed the suspension towers. I re-shimmed the towers to correct spec. The car drove like a dream from that point on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Title says Herald estate…. And yet, the tub being manhandled in the background looks like a saloon one to me?🤔

Good luck with the toenail….

It is a saloon tub it’s being cut up to repair the estate Andy and Luke are extremely capable of fully restoring this estate to a high standard, can’t wait to see the finished result. 

they own several Triumphs and have their own workshop 

lovely people 👍

• 4 months later...