Engine ignition weirdness

tictor

Hello everybody

I'm currently rebuilding my 1970 mk3 spitfire

Here is the problem

Every time i'm turning the key, the starter is working fine, and the engine seems to start and rev, but as soon as i get my hands of the key, the engine shuts off instantly...

I scratched my head around this problem, and carefully watch the electrical diagram to see if i made mistake wiring the ignition barrel, and it appears everything is fine on this side.

(Brown wire on the 1 pole, 2 white wires on number 2, and a red/white wire on number 3)

I tried switching the wire by rotating the order and now the engine starts and rev well (hand of the key) but the starter run continuously...

I have a factory starter solenoid correctly wired...

I realized that i had 3 "eyelet type" ground wires connected to nothing, they do not go on the solenoid positive battery lead pole neither on the starter lead pole.

After carefully watching the wiring diagram i realized that the starter solenoid had to be grounded, so i attached those three ground wire to one of the fixing screws of the solenoid, but for now it doesn't seems to do much.

It's like the starter won't shut off after the engine picks up or maybe my new ignition barrel doesn't work properly.

What do you guy think ?

Have you bought an aftermarket ignition switch...? It certainly sounds like you have the right wires going to the wrong place or wrong connections at ignition going to the right place.

You need to meter trace where you are going to from wherever

I have just rewired with new harness  and just followed the 1960s wiring diagram in the workshop manual and all is OK 

Would do as Mike says,

get the multi meter out and make yourself a diagram of your ignition switch contactors, it would seem that you have a different switch. 

find with wire is the feed, then which one connects up to the feed when On, and the last one which one is only temporary life when you turn to the "start" position.

Some of the switches have a position for accessories, so you could leave the side lights on but not having the coil live as an example. 

D

Quoted from Velocita Rosso-
Quoted from thescrapman-

I suspect that you haVe a duff ignition switch. Hot wire the car and see if it keeps running

Ahh! the old hot wire.....do that a lot in Essex?😉

Colin also Hot Wire's on the M74 south of Glasgow!🤭