setting elecrtonic ignition without timing light

daver clasper

Hi everyone
Have just bought a powerspark ignition kit for vitesse 2litre mk1. Is there a way of setting timing without light as not got one. info says it will run after fitting and maybe a couple of degrees out. can I adjust be ear at idle, until it has highest rpm and smooth running by advancing/redarding dizzy.
Any advice much appriciated.
Cheers
Dave

As above, but drive it under load (high gear, slight incline, not fast) and see if the engine pinks. If not, advance until it does. That is too much, so back it off until it just stops. That is the most accurate way of setting the timing, as the distributor will not be "factory fresh" and todays fuel is rather different. I have had one car checked on the rolling road, and indeed it was correct.

I also have a vacuum gauge and you can set it with this as nang suggests. It's sort of the same as by ear. Twist the dizzy for maximum vacuum and then back a gnats.

Didn't mention it before as my gauge stopped working, it keeps filling with brake fluid from my faulty servo and I don't like to think about it!  ;D  Still, new servo to be installed shortly, once I've duffed up the bulkhead..

As well as the timing you can also set the mixture with a vacuum gauge.

http://www.classic-car-magazine.co.uk/articles/tuning-with-a-vacuum-gauge.html

Be a bit careful when using a vacuum gauge to set timing. I have tried to set the timing like that, and the engine has certainly sounded very happy when maximum vacuum has been attained, but subsequent checking with a timing light showed the timing to be around 28 degrees BTDC at idle.

Indeed. It's not at all uncommon for the correct idle setting to be well retarded from optimal. It gives a more robust idle because there's more air flow needed. Indeed some of the US versions of our cars had a second vacuum capsule to intentionally retard the idle ignition even further, so that there was enough idle air flow to maintain emissions control.

Indeed. It's not at all uncommon for the correct idle setting to be well retarded from optimal. It gives a more robust idle because there's more air flow needed. Indeed some of the US versions of our cars had a second vacuum capsule to intentionally retard the idle ignition even further, so that there was enough idle air flow to maintain emissions control.

• 2 weeks later...

Straight_Six wrote:
Be a bit careful when using a vacuum gauge to set timing. I have tried to set the timing like that, and the engine has certainly sounded very happy when maximum vacuum has been attained, but subsequent checking with a timing light showed the timing to be around 28 degrees BTDC at idle.

I have  set mine by ear having fitted Aldon Ignitor electronic   ignition and it too is about the same with the strobe. Drove well though over about 15 miles.

I have then advanced  it to at least get nearer the timing marks on the pulley and it isn't as happy  :-/

This is on my early mk2 2000 but I do have a pi/GT6 cam fitted  and of course  as Colin says  modern  fuel isn't the same as back in the day.

So I think I'll be going back to the by ear method.

Hello all,

just a little point about factory (static) timing, some (if not all?) distributors fitted by Triumph to their engines will have started to advance mechanically at idle (7 - 800 rpm) which also gives an error when comparing book value. Advance to pink then back a tad, as mentioned earlier, is the best way. If you measure and make a note of that timing then you have a figure for the future.

Alec