Anyone near Keighley able to help

Amy Wade

18 minutes ago, RobPearce said:

The garage sound like a waste of space. I do hope YS can help the guy get it sorted.

They certainly do sound like a waste of space, looking at his post I think he's got a positive earth car & they've probably fried the regulator and dynamo by swapping the battery leads without knowing what they're doing. They need to be named & shamed.

23 minutes ago, Amy Wade said:

They certainly do sound like a waste of space, looking at his post I think he's got a positive earth car & they've probably fried the regulator and dynamo by swapping the battery leads without knowing what they're doing. They need to be named & shamed.

From memory, and having done it years ago the way you convert a car from pos to neg earth is to 'flash' the dynamo to reverse its polarity, then reverse the battery. But as you say if they have they could have damaged some electrics.

• Like 1

I've met David and very nice chap he is, he actually lives nearer Haworth than Keighley and yes I agree with every body it would be lovely if someone could reach out and help a fellow enthusiast in his hour of need. Sadly I'm also about a 100 miles away otherwise I would be there.

• Like 2

Hi I am David I believe that Amy Wade shared one of my posts from around Christmas . I own a Mark 2 Triumph Spitfire . But it has a Mark 3 engine . I could not start it after getting it home after buying it and it rained for a whole week the I got home so once the rain stopped I took it to a garage . I was quite specific I asked them to remove the petrol tank and flush it out as the fuel in it was over 5 years old . I also asked them to check the brakes  and finally to get the engine running and to set up the carbs and change the sark plugs . Time passed and I was back in hospital having surgery on my jaw . I have genetic cancer which means at any time I can get cancer and so far I have had it in my Thyroid, Brain, Stomach, Pancreas and in September I had it in my face . Every time I contacted the garage I was given excuses why the car was not done . first they told me they needed a timing light as the one they had was broken . They kept saying they were borrowing one but this never transpired so in the end I bought one for them to use . Then I was told that the battery was on wrong way round and they had discovered this (I have never taken battery off car so could not understand this , Car is NOT positive earth either) they told me that because battery had been wrong way it had burned out ignition, dynamo , distributor etc and electronic ignition. I was a bit stunned but at this point decided to collect car and to take it elsewhere . When I went to collect car I am told that n/s rear wheel cylinder needs replacing as fluid was all over shoes and they tried to get a set from rimmers but rimmers told them it would be months before they had they. Also the garage had bought a master cylinder when I bough the car the P/Owner had dismantled the master cylinder quickly cleaned it and replaced it BUT when the hand brake has been on after taking the hand brake off the brakes stick. BUT SUPRISE SUPRISE when I went to collect the car the Mechanic who told me about ignition , gets in the car starts it up and drives it straight on to my car trailer . The car sounded like a motorbike he was over raving the car and it was "Pinking" I think the word is - when you rev a motorbike up you get a popping in exhaust when the gases pass through it my car is making similar noises . I found out the garage has NOT replaced the plugs and I think the plugs are wrong ones they are unlike any plug I have ever seen all the garage. I asked if they had taken petrol tank out they told me that they just syphoned old fuel out. The thing is the car is old I wanted them to wash tank out with paraffin and to then refit tank. I asked them to clean the carbs and set them up ( The garage has not touched the carbs at all) They did however find the issue with wheel cylinder so purchased two cylinders and a master cylinder . So I am not a mechanic so I do not know how to change a wheel cylinder or how to fit a master cylinder . The garage did tell me that once the wheel cylinder is done and stripped down then the handbrake when released will not leave the brakes on. Currently I have got the car back home I paid for the 2 wheel cylinders and a master cylinder . I was charged around £166 for the parts . So my current predicament is that I am full of cold so I cannot have the treatment that I need as I could get pneumonia ,I cannot bend down properly as I have a implant in my back to stop pain. I am on opioids I was on fentanyl and morphine but the meds were not strong enough if I get stressed I get pancreatitis . If I get a attack of pancreatitis it can last from 1 hour to 48 hours and the pain I am told is like child birth.. I am happy to pay for parts and the help as I cannot do the work I can transport the car as I have a car trailer which is mine . If anyone can help me please get in touch . My immune system is not good and is already  compromised as I have a cold . If anyone can help please message I am in Haworth West Yorks