Advice required for Spitfire mk 3 1969 snagging problems

Linda Carr

Really need some advice,  please be honest and frank. 

We went to see our 1969 mk 3 spitfire yesterday, we havent been involved in its restoration as my brother bought her in 2018 and unfortunately passed away in 2019.  I wanted to purchase it from my sister in law for sentimental reasons more than anything and have paid £13k to my sister in law. ??? is this far too much ? 

There are some items on their snag list, - the rear suspension, driver door doesnt shut properly or open from the inside, and the horn isnt working.

However my husband noticed that the bonnet is not sitting correctly the 'shut line' is out, it has about a 3/4inch gap on the drivers side to the scuttle panel and it is very tight and already rubbing the paint on the passenger side - is this a common issue, ? easily fixed - or a problem ?? the workshop did not have it on his snag list to rectify and this is concerning my husband greatly. 

Also the new roof is very slack and there is a very large gap at the top of the passenger side that will certainly let rain in and wind, again is this a common issue, should we insist on it being rectified??

Please be critically honest, I will hold my hands up to buying the car for sentimental reasons, but I really would like to enjoy her and don't want a host of issues that will mar this experience.

20230211_121850.jpg

20230211_122020.jpg

image1.jpeg

IMG_2390.jpg

That’s a gorgeous looking car and looks to be in very good visual order. 
The roof unfortunately is way to slack and does need rectifying…. Wants warming up and stretching to fit properly( I’m no expert though). 
I’ve not played with an early bonnet other than a herald as my spitfire is a 1500. 
If it’s like a herald there is adjustment though …. Someone will help I’m sure. 

Please don’t get hung up on what you paid if you did it for the right reasons then it’s not too much. Sentimentality is why many of us keep ploughing money into our cars after all. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

That’s a gorgeous looking car and looks to be in very good visual order. 
The roof unfortunately is way to slack and does need rectifying…. Wants warming up and stretching to fit properly( I’m no expert though). 
I’ve not played with an early bonnet other than a herald as my spitfire is a 1500. 
If it’s like a herald there is adjustment though …. Someone will help I’m sure. 

Please don’t get hung up on what you paid if you did it for the right reasons then it’s not too much. Sentimentality is why many of us keep ploughing money into our cars after all. 

Thanks Alex, I am not concerned re the cost really but my Husband felt I had paid too much to have these issues.  I just wanted to be sure that they aren't serious issues.  I was so looking forward to seeing her yesterday, really excited and feel a little deflated.

• Like 1

Without seeing the car it's difficult to tell what's needed. The doors and bonnet are adjustable and the shut lines can be improved.

What part of the country are you? There's probably someone in one of the groups nearby that can have a look for you. Check the groups and see if there's one nearby. 

• Like 2

Looking again at the pictures I wonder if the bonnet needs lifting on the front N/S …..

The second picture the shut line appears closer at the bottom than the top. By lifting the N/S front you’ll actually open the gap at the bottom and hopefully equalise the entire gap but possibly push the off side in a bit too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Old cars always have issues. Usually they're fixable.

Horn not working is probably trivial, and easily diagnosed with a bit of electrical knowledge.

Can you be more specific on the driver's door? The striker mechanism has a fair  bit of adjustment and if it's wrong then the door will not close, or will be floppy. The inner handle not working could be a missing connection, but someone who knows them would need to have a look inside.

I can't see from those photos whether the bonnet gap on the driver's side is longitudinal or lateral. The former may well be adjustable, the latter is common and not really a fault (the panel curvature was inconsistent even when new).

As Amy said, get it along to your local group. Someone there will know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The hood is fitted very poorly, if just done it ought to be going back.

bonnet needs adjusting hopefully. Same with door

rear suspension either just need driving to settle it, or it was all tightened up with car in the air and that is wrong way.

To say it is an old car and that Is normal to accept issues is not right. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rubce said:

Hi Linda

As Amy and others have said, get in touch with your local group for assistance. Where abouts in the UK are you?

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I am West Midlands, I will contact if needed, I spoke with my sister-in-law about the issues and advise from here and she is going to ask their friend if he would go and look at it, he was the reason my brother purchased the car in the first place as he has a spitfire. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Hi Linda, the spitfire looks like a lovely car to start with 

we have a West Midlands area group and we meet first Tuesday each month at Farmer Johns  Aldridge Road , Streetly B742DX,  I live in Cannock,  if you’re not too far away maybe come to the next meeting and talk to us there, 

Thanks Wendy, I am in Bloxwich so not far at all, how late do you stay at Farmer Johns, I may struggle to get to streetly for 6pm, would be more 7-7.30, often not home from work til 6-6.30.

Edited by Linda Carr
  • Like 1